Dahua NVR and TP Link AP

Naate

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
New to this forum so please be patient.

I’m a little stuck I have a client who has a Dahua NVR connected to their Modem. Then outside in the pool house they have 3 cameras connected to a Dahua switch that connects to a TP Link wireless AP within range of the main modem. I’ve had to factory reset the NVR ( don’t ask lol) but now I can’t seem to add the cameras via IP address or get the NVR back online for mobile app.

Anyone have any ideas on how I set up the NVR to connect to the AP to re-add the cameras and then how to get the NVR back online for mobile viewing?

I wish I could run a cable from the NVR to the switch but it’s not physically possible for many reasons.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Heaps

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those cameras likely (or should) have static IP's in the same subnet as the NVR's LAN, then they could be manually added but some other things must come into play:

The wireless AP at the pool house is likely in bridge mode and has been logged onto the wireless coming from the house's modem. That should not have been affected by the reset. The cams should not have been affected by the reset either.

We don't know if the NVR's LAN was in DHCP mode before the reset or if it had a static IP. Most likely it was DHCP so that's OK.

What is the modem's LAN IP (gateway IP) ? Is there a PC on that wireless in the house? if so, type Windows key + R, "cmd" <enter>, then "ipconfig" <enter> and tell us what you see for "default gateway".

Last edited:

Naate

n3wb
Reaction score
Those cameras likely (or should) have static IP's in the same subnet as the NVR's LAN, then they could be manually but some other things must come into play:

The wireless AP at the pool house is likely in bridge mode and has been logged onto the wireless coming from the house's modem. that should not have been affected by the reset. The cams would not have been affected by the reset.

We don't know if the NVR's LAN was in DHCP mode before the reset or if it had a static IP. Most likely it was DHCP so that's OK.

What is the modem's LAN IP (gateway IP) ? Is there a PC on that wireless in the house? if so, type Windows key + R, "cmd" <enter>, the "ipconfig" <enter> and tell us what you see for "default gateway".
d

Thanks heaps for the reply. I’ve since gone home but when I return I will take down the default gateway details and anything else that maybe relevant.

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ditto TonyR's analysis. Guessing a NVR IP subnet misconfig. NVR looking on wrong subnet?
Does the NVR have any network testing abilities? Most I've seen have at least basic network checking functions such as Ping. Log in to NVR, locate network info tab or equivalent, check to see if LAN set for dhcp or static IP. You'll need to know the gateway IP in use, plus set the LAN IP address for the NVR if using static IP. Try pinging an external IP address (google.com or whatever) from the NVR to see if it can talk to outside world.

I use some mobile apps for quick network diagnostic/analysis. For example, "network analyzer lite" is a free android app that will perform a LAN scan, ID the subnet addresses in use, show routing tables, services in use, ping & trace, & more. There are many such apps available. I find apps such as it helpful for resolving network issues like this. Just my 2 cents, ymmv. Good luck with the NVR reconfig.