Dahua New Firmware

iTuneDVR

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I understand it doesnt worry the russians...you are known fraudsters. Also you need to look up the definition of prejudice, if its based on fact and experience, its not prejudice :)
;)

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I dont trust Russians....you included.
I understand it doesnt worry the russians...you are known fraudsters.
All 140 millions of them? So sad...
right...there is no way to tamper with dahua firmware:rolleyes: there is no hacked firmware available to the public..dont make me laugh.
Please read how signing works: Protecting embedded systems from unauthorized software modifications

If the "Cliff Notes" are correct, Dahua started signing their firmware in 2017, so there WAS tampered firmware. Signing may be the reason why the Chinese market "hacked" cameras turn Chinese after a firmware upgrade and one can't go back. It is still possible to install the "hacked" firmware if one has access to the camera PCB. Then one can flash the firmware to the chip directly via RS232 bypassing the signature verification. That's how those Chinese market "hacked" cameras turn English, I assume. But if Dahua indeed signs their firmware and the current firmware in the camera is signed a tampered with firmware won't install by normal means (through Ethernet).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All 140 millions of them? So sad...

Please read how signing works: Protecting embedded systems from unauthorized software modifications

If the "Cliff Notes" are correct, Dahua started signing their firmware in 2017, so there WAS tampered firmware. Signing may be the reason why the Chinese market "hacked" cameras turn Chinese after a firmware upgrade and one can't go back. It is still possible to install the "hacked" firmware if one has access to the camera PCB. Then one can flash the firmware to the chip directly via RS232 bypassing the signature verification. That's how those Chinese market "hacked" cameras turn English, I assume. But if Dahua indeed signs their firmware and the current firmware in the camera is signed a tampered with firmware won't install by normal means (through Ethernet).
Since you seem to be a preeminent expert on firmware security....

Go ahead and download your firmware from Russian websites... Not only would I not download firmware or any other file from Russian websites I wouldn't visit those sites unless you are sandbox...

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to download the firmware from any authorized Dahua dealer in the world if I can't find it on their main site like OP. Knowledge is power.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to download the firmware from any authorized Dahua dealer in the world if I can't find it on their main site like OP. Knowledge is power.
Go for it...it is extremely encouraging that Russian hacker itunedvr supports your position
lol picked up his first ip camera last week, now an expert. You have no knowledge to translate into power.

Last edited:

iTuneDVR

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Go for it...it is extremely encouraging that Russian hacker itunedvr supports your position
Thanks for your compliment, but I'm an ordinary researcher, and nothing more.
Research not only in IT ;)
However, you confuse hackers with criminals because it is not the same thing.
There are criminals in any spheres, accountants, cooks, auto mechanics, professors at the university and no one is hysterical about this ;)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your compliment, but I'm an ordinary researcher, and nothing more.
Research not only in IT ;)
There are criminals in any spheres, accountants, cooks, auto mechanics, professors at the university and no one is hysterical about this ;)
Sure...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, what would YOU call someone who uses a computer to commit a crime such as theft of property, money or identity?
As an English-speaking, native-born citizen of the U.S. of A. I want to make sure I am using the right terminology.

Zachps

n3wb
Reaction score
A cracker.

Google hacker vs cracker.

Its just the term hacker is used more by the media.

Its like the media calling an AR15 an assult rifle, its not, its just a semi automatic rifle.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A cracker.

Its just the term hacker is used more by the media.

Its like the media calling an AR15 an assult rifle, its not, its just a semi automatic rifle.
i used hacker intentionally...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A cracker.

I stand corrected.

EDIT: Being born in Atlanta, I should recognize the term "cracker". :facepalm:

True. Most think the "AR" stands for "Assault Rifle".

EDIT: Taking this further in case further incorrect conclusions are drawn by the uninformed masses, "AR" also does not stand for "Automatic Rifle". Instead, it stands for "Armalite Rifle", as designated by the company that developed it in the 1950's.

Last edited: