Dahua N45EM63 IVS stopped working

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Early in the month of June my IVS tripwire stopped sending emails. I thought this was an issue with the email account but it appears to be something else entirely and I cannot figure out whats gone wrong. I have a 2nd camera (different model) setup as well, with a tripwire and this has not changed or ceased functioning in any way.
I reset the IVS rule config several times and in the setting tab on the camera interface I can see the tripwire, however in the live view it does not appear. It does not appear on the NVR or the NVR web interface. Am I correct in thinking that the event rule is not saving properly?
What steps should I be taking to make the tripwire IVS rule work again so I can get alert emails?

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am not sure what I need to do here to get the IVS back online. I've tried setting it up in the camera and in the nvr. This is the message I get when I go to NVR>AI>parameters>IVS.
I'm assuming this is a firmware incompatibility? How do I resolve this?
Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Fw compatibility would be low on my list.

Often a problem resulting from going back and forth making setting changes on the camera AND NVR. Always make settings only on the camera itself. Only use the NVR for recording schedule.

We need to get NVR and camera in synch.

What are your settings for codec, bitrate? I recall h.265 and/or smart codec is not compatible with IVS. Always use h.264

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, yet again!
I definitely took your previous advice and never updated the ivs stuff on the camera itself until it happened. It worked great until June. Then it just randomly ceased, not long before a firmware update on the nvr.
The order of events was as follows:
I stopped getting emails and thought it was a Gmail thing. Updated with the instructed steps for 2FA, set-up the device password and all that. Still nada. Test emails go through just fine.
Got a notification on the NVR for a Firmware update. Pulled down the update.
Realized the ivs wasn't triggering at all (so not an email issue) and the tripwire line was no longer present on screen.
I then tried to update in the camera, no dice. Tried various reboots, resetting the camera, etc. Nothing.

At some point in the process I realized the ip address I use to connect to the NVR and cameras from IE changed. I found the correct one but it made no difference. Then it randomly changed back to the original. I don't know networking well so idk what that was about.

Now when I setup the ivs in the camera, it will appear to save, but doesn't. I tried to push from the NVR but I get the config error message, and even if I try it won't push to the camera.

Also of note, this only happened to one camera. the other one operates just fine as always.

The camera in question (via the NVR) is h.264h
Bitrate is CBR (4096kb/s)

The working camera is h.265 with bitrate VBR (2048)

Ill try changing these in a bit to see if the codec is the issue.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Make all changes on the camera
use IE browser. Others will show the change but not save it
Once you save on the camera, log back into the camera and verify it saved,
If so reboot the NVR, this should synch

Last edited:

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Make all changes on the camera
use IE browser. Others will show the change but not save it
Once you save on the camera, log back into the camera and verify it saved,
If so reboot the NVR, this should synch
I'm using the ie plugin for chrome, as always for the cameras.
I setup the ivs in the camera and it saves it in the settings>event>ivs but does not display the tripwire on the live view (the working ivs camera does display it on live).

No idea why the camera seems to not recognize its own settings

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I never look at the full live view in the camera, perhaps there’s a toggle on/off?

Do you have SmartPSS? It should show there

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have P2P enabled on the NVR or camera?
I’ve never got a firmware update notice on an NVR , by and large they only work sporadically using P2P

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok so I just checked, yes it should show in Live view

Double check codec
"Smart H.265+ and the Smart H.264+ cannot be used simultaneously with either an Analytics+ or an IVS feature. "

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Click the icon that the red arrow points to to show IVS rules below.
I have had firmware update notices come up on NVRs not using p2p.

Regarding firmware updates, if it's not broke don't fix it.
Don't update just because, it at times lead to issues.

After a firmware update, you should set the camera or NVR back to factory defaults and then set it back up from scratch. If you are not comfortable doing so, then avoid updates.

Learn to use Windows Screen snip, better than a cell phone and quicker.

Untitled.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thx @looney2ns I thought there was a toggle..

Weird, Ive never seen a FW update notice and when i check on any NVR manually I always get zip

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Bad on me for assuming, have you verified SmartPlan is enabled for IVS on the camera? I guess so or it wouldn’t allow you to save the rule…

Sounds like a synch issue with the NVR doesn’t it….

Last edited:

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so the smart plan was toggled off. That produced the tripwire on the live view. Idk how because once it was setup the first time I never touched anything again.
It's showing up on both the camera and the NVR L. However, in the NVR I go to AI>parameters> and both smart plan and ivs display the ch no1 failed to acquire config message.
The tripwire is visible but not triggering an alarm.

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Progress

Did you reboot the NVR?
Yes. I changed the codec back to h264 and the config error resolved, but the tripwire still failed to trigger any alarm. Rebooted the NVR again and got the failed to acquire config message again.
I am still looking to see if anything changes during the reboot but so far nothing stands out.

What I do find odd is that the NVR and the web based NVR will not pull down the encode data for this camera after the reboot. The compression and resolution fields are blank

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update: The NVR suddenly wouldnt pull down the config for camera 2, briefly. I tried again and it succeeded.
As per above info I updated the codec to h.265 for both cameras, through the camera web interface. This immediately updated in the NVR and I was able to pull down the config for both again.
Rebooted the NVR and suddenly everything works. Yay, a win. I have to wonder if it will remain functioning or not but for the time being I'm not touching anything.
You folks rock. I sure wish I had the depth of knowledge yall do with these systems.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
We get lucky now and then ;)

I think when you updated FW many settings got lost. Like SmartPlan, as well as the camera and NVR having a hard time with sync. Often multiple reboots help

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We get lucky now and then ;)

I think when you updated FW many settings got lost. Like SmartPlan, as well as the camera and NVR having a hard time with sync. Often multiple reboots help
I will definitely keep that in mind. The system tends to need a reboot or two after we lose power or the internet goes down (which is all the damn time these days), so that makes sense.

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are Smart Codecs used?
For some low-end cameras, such as Molec firmware,
Enabling Smart Codec will cause IVS to be disabled.
But the N45EM63 uses the HX5XXX-Volt firmware.
It should not sound, you can try to update the firmware.