Dahua LPR settings?

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We’re using a Dahua IPC--HFW5831E-Z5E

I’m using it as an unofficial LPR in blue iris and was hoping maybe someone has some preferred night time settings to capture plates.
I’ve attached a pic of my current settings and the result (which by all means serves the purpose and works) but there’s always room for improvement. Thanks all!

Attachments

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From your vehicle sample, it looks like a lot of the necessary light on that one came from the car's own license-plate lights, not the camera's IR. A tightly focused high-output IR emitter right next to the camera might be a worthwhile addition if you can get 12-volt power to the location. For an off-the shelf emitter, I nominate the CMvision IR-200 for its very tight focus and high output.

Most people's LPR photos are so dark you cannot even see the body of the vehicle, just the IR-illuminated plate and the vehicle's lights. In your case, lowering the Gain would probably bring about that result. If you can get body detail along with a plate then that's great, of course.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dial down your parameters:

Gain to 35
Iris to 50
Brightness 40
Contrast 65
Sharpness 40
Gamma 40

And zoom in a little more. What is your IR setting? Most for LPR go to manual and hit it at 100%.

As @mech said, LPR should be a completely black image - all you should see are head/tail lights and plates and nothing else.

Look in this subforum for additional setups and settings and you will get a good idea of what the image should look like.

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From your vehicle sample, it looks like a lot of the necessary light on that one came from the car's own license-plate lights, not the camera's IR. A tightly focused high-output IR emitter right next to the camera might be a worthwhile addition if you can get 12-volt power to the location. For an off-the shelf emitter, I nominate the CMvision IR-200 for its very tight focus and high output.

Most people's LPR photos are so dark you cannot even see the body of the vehicle, just the IR-illuminated plate and the vehicle's lights. In your case, lowering the Gain would probably bring about that result. If you can get body detail along with a plate then that's great, of course.
Thank you for that input, i've made some adjustments and even had to reposition the camera. Appreciate it!

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dial down your parameters:

Gain to 35
Iris to 50
Brightness 40
Contrast 65
Sharpness 40
Gamma 40

And zoom in a little more. What is your IR setting? Most for LPR go to manual and hit it at 100%.

As @mech said, LPR should be a completely black image - all you should see are head/tail lights and plates and nothing else.

Look in this subforum for additional setups and settings and you will get a good idea of what the image should look like.

Thank you for the recommendations, i've made some improvements! I didnt see the LPR forum, i will be spending some time reviewing the existing info, I appreciate it!