Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS smart/auto IR not working

Andydogga

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, have got my first IPC-T5442TM-AS Turret and trying to get the smart?! IR working. Have upgraded firmware V2.800.0000000.16.R, Build Date: 2020-05-29, reset via camera switch.

All settings set to default.

It does work only if I put my face 2 feet from camera but still not very well. My 6 year old hik cam can do this so why not this one :banghead::banghead::banghead:

192.168.0.199_02_20200706205000811.jpg

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Auto doesn’t work for me either. I have to set it to manual around 70%.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve found no way to get it to work other than to set it manually unfortunately. No amount of tinkering with shutter and gain ranges really solves it for me.

Only setting the IR manually and turning the gain down a bit fixes it for me. Even then, if you get right up to the camera and stare at it you are still washed out a bit. It’s not a problem since I’ll have a real good capture of anyone walking up to the camera before they are washed out anyway.

Andydogga

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes I think that will be the same for me as well, I do get a clear image from further away. Thanks for the reply

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Quite surprised this hasn’t been fixed as it was reported and discussed ages ago with Andy saying he would report back to Dahua.

I’m now inclined to think that there must be some sort of hardware limitation as my 5231-ze does the smart ir really well.

Andydogga

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update, after some testing with Andy and engineer was able to get a lot better result. I still think the problem lies with too much IR and not being able to shut it down via the cameras settings.

Exposure compensation was put to basically zero and manually setting IR power to around 35-40 for my installation.

I also noted that standing in the middle of the frame I was a lot more washed out than either side. The IR spread a bit stronger in the middle. This camera all round has strong IR so be prepared to adjust it a little.

If you had the option of mounting it further away from the target and using a 6mm lens I think you would get a better result also.

192.168.0.199_02_20200707204530103.jpg

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I think exposure compensation (you are using shutter priority?) is similar to Gain. I did notice when reducing the Gain it has the added benefit of helping to reduce the washout. Just like setting IR to manual and reducing the amount of IR light emitted.

SmartIR is broken or never really worked. These manual tweaks should not be necessary.

JD575

n3wb
Reaction score
I agree, the smart IR should compensate. Definitely needed for larger sensor in the 5442 which is more sensitive to light exposure. I wondering, comparing with other smaller sensor cameras, if the smart IR works? I assume a firmware fix could get this back on track.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree, the smart IR should compensate. Definitely needed for larger sensor in the 5442 which is more sensitive to light exposure. I wondering, comparing with other smaller sensor cameras, if the smart IR works? I assume a firmware fix could get this back on track.
There has to be a reason why this hasn't already been done, people have been pointing it out and complaining about since the cam was first reviewed?

Andydogga

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think exposure compensation (you are using shutter priority?) is similar to Gain. I did notice when reducing the Gain it has the added benefit of helping to reduce the washout. Just like setting IR to manual and reducing the amount of IR light emitted.

SmartIR is broken or never really worked. These manual tweaks should not be necessary.
Exposure set to auto

strafer

n3wb
Reaction score
i don't really like the look of IR
I think to put 60w light bulb outside instead
can i turn of the B/W IR mode and just run full color even at night with this lightbulb?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
i don't really like the look of IR
I think to put 60w light bulb outside instead
can i turn of the B/W IR mode and just run full color even at night with this lightbulb?
You can. If it’s sufficient enough light to work well is another story. I run twin 27w LEDs (each is 250w incandescent equivalent) and I have a street light in front of my house. Color at night seems to work well enough for me with that.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
If interested, @Andydogga / @strafer I posted some night video from the latest 5442 vari turret and show ways to dial in your scene / target zone using other config options. I also show this under IR (which in current FW is too strong as I note but has been reported back to Dahua and I show how to mitigate), 60w and floodlight situations.

Link to thread is HERE - Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing

HTH

strafer

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you
4:40 in your vid is color with only 60w bulb and looks pretty good to me close range - probably good enough for my needs