Dahua IPC-HDW5231RP-ZE 800m Cable needed?

NetHunter

n3wb
Reaction score
so after getting the HDW5231RP-ZE and the proper ePoe switch PFL2106-4ET-96 - Dahua Technology what cable would one recommend for outside usage in texas heat and weather for the 800m? I noticed on the forum to stay away from CCA and to go full copper but haven't found anything really.

kind regards,
NetHunter

giel

n3wb
Reaction score
I would always run outside cable in a conduit - personally I love the flexible liquid tight ones (from e.g., Home Depot). At that point the cable matters a little less, but don't skimp on this. For PoE I'd always recommend full copper. Good experience with this one (but I haven't tried many, and this works for me so I stick with it): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006V38DJK/ and for reference, I use these RJ45 jacks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008F533EC. Both are a little bit more expensive than the cheap stuff, but I never had to redo a connection. Just my 2c.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Taking the risk of speaking for others, I believe the most popular source by forum members for the network cable is Monoprice. If you get the RJ45s from Monoprice, I highly recommend you get the ones "with inserts". They make the job way easier.

NetHunter

n3wb
Reaction score
would a Cat6 be better then the Cat5e for the 800m ? thanks for all the advice sofar

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Cat6 cable is rated for higher bandwidth, but the camera will not come even close to the cat5e rating. If you have a really long cable run, the 23 awg conductor size of most cat6 cables will result in a little less power loss than the 24 awg size of most cat5e cables. If the cable will be exposed to sunlight you should get uv rated cable, which I believe is called "outdoor" cable. If you're burying the cable you need direct burial cable. If it's in conduit I will stay out of that discussion. I tend to over-engineer everything and use cat6. Many others will tell you it's not necessary, and they are correct.

NetHunter

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes would like to try that out. Hence why i went with the designed switch. Just have no clue what cable uv rating outside would be great not thinking of putting it in the ground maybe more like under the owning

Last edited:

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you actually buy 800m cable (easily)?

Would be an expensive exercise if you find out the solution doesn't work as advertised.

LostGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you actually buy 800m cable (easily)?
Belden will sell you spools at 2500, 3000 and 5000ft but it ain't cheap. Prices for riser cable start at ~$500 for a 2500ft spool, if you can find a reseller that buys in sufficient quantity, but I'd expect it to degrade pretty quick in an outdoor application. Running 800m of conduit to protect it seems like a pretty big undertaking to just try out ePOE. There are also a number of other electrical considerations you'd want to factor in for a run of ~1/2 mile.

If anybody makes an outdoor rated Cat5e cable at that spool length, it will be Belden, but I'd fully expect it to cost well over $2k for the spool.