Dahua IPC-HDW3441T-ZAS SMD algorithm version 1.02 Turret install experience

JK747

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After checking into the state of 2021 motion detection on the web, I decided to get
a Dahua HDW3441T.

My experience so far:

- Quick Start, was very slow...
1. Power: each model has either PoE or 12V power but not both. (doc was confusing), took me some time to figure this one out :)
You need a separate PoE injector with the correct Voltage and amperage.

- Installation experience:
1. relatively easy however the correct way to insert an SD card was a bit tricky
2. maybe obvious however you need to be able to crimp RJ45 plug(s) to your own Cat5 cable
3. you need an extra installation box (130E) to install the device, the connectors barely fit into the installation box,
but with some effort you get them in.
4. had to drill a hole in one of the side plugs that close off the install box to route the cat5 cable through

- Firmware basics: ( versions July 2021)
1. No hangups, reboots or similar, camera is running stable for more then two weeks
2. Admin interface is OK, however I find the menu´s not yet consistent, there should be a
clearer split between event and action to take. You find various options in different places.

- SMD (Smart Motion Detection), SMD? Algorithm release 1.02.
1. Works well during day time , Vehicles and Humans up 10 meters from the camera are detected.
2. Incorrect Human detection:
a) in one situation a cat passing triggered an alarm
b) at dawn: heavy rain and wind: false alarm, there was nothing to be seen, yet a human detection alarm was raised
3. At dusk and with IR active, the detection range of humans decreases to about 3 meters.

In summary: good product, however as always, firmware may be further improved.

Question:
Does anybody have a suggestion how we can get a Dahua SMD cam with IR active detect humans and vehicles beyond
3 meters? ( or use IVS in combo with SMD or...?)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using IVS Tripwires or Intrusion boxes will almost always be more reliable than SMD.
It also depends on you having the camera setup properly for it's FOV for IVS to work at it's best.
Leaving any camera on factory defaults will almost never produce the best results.
Common issues with camera image | IP Cam Talk
Also study this: Cliff Notes