Dahua IP CAMERA Ping Time Can't be less than 5ms !

Stayka04

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I have an issue with the IP Camera "IPC-HFW2439S-SA-LED-S2" ping time, which cannot be less than 5ms. I have tested over 12 Cameras, all of them have the same ping time. I tried direct connection (Camera to PC) / switch connection over straight cable / cross cable. Still the same result.

Does any of you guys had this issue?

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I have an issue with the IP Camera "IPC-HFW2439S-SA-LED-S2" ping time, which cannot be less than 5ms. I have tested over 12 Cameras, all of them have the same ping time. I tried direct connection (Camera to PC) / switch connection over straight cable / cross cable. Still the same result.

Does any of you guys had this issue?
People without networking backgrounds often mis-understand ping\icmp protocol. It's designed to be a best efforts protocol to use for connectivity testing, always use caution when interpreting results.
Quite common to see newer security baselines do strange things, like increased response times to ping, drop every 5th packet ect. This is different to say dropping packets at random intervals which is indicative of a wide array of issues.

That being said, I don't have your model of Dahua camera. I have multiple models of Dahua and Hikvision and never encountered a ping above 1ms, check the pings from a different client device.

pacone

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same issue with ping times that are around 5ms, with two Dahua camera's.
models IPC-HDW2831TM-AS-S2 and IPC-HDW2531T-ZS-S2
Both are running the latest firmware.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All my Dahua and Hikvision cameras ping time are 2-3 ms.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ping time can seem illusive to people, but it all depends on how the networking is set up, and switches utilized.
But low ping is desirable to most things, but in reality it all depends on the receiving software as well.

For example:

Say the time to live on a packet is 35ms. but the ping is at 20ms. It seems bad but it means nothing other than the stream is receiving 20 ms in the past and no data frames are being dropped because the next packets are coming in before the connection timeout of 35ms. In this application: recording video for surveillance its not an issue.

Also just like someone mention the client asking for ping might not report accurately. Because computer's networking stack can internally have excess latency as well because of its own software stack its running as well as access times of the hardware and processing latency of drivers.