Dahua ePoE 6MP Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5631R-ZE)

Burton_Flooring

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The 2mp and 5mp (2531R-ZS) are zoomed in a little, so that will throw out knowing what the aperture is on those, but they are all F1.6 w/ the exception of the 2mp Starlight (5231R-ZE)

5mp F1.6
2mp F1.4
6mp F1.6
8mp F1.6

The 8mp has a disadvantage from being a little farther away (due to the focal length). But the rest are adjusted so they have roughly the same "zoom" to give a fair representation.

Burton_Flooring

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here's the 6mp and 8mp to show you the difference (everything was calibrated to match the 6mp focal length,except the 8mp because it was a fixed lens :)

These are the same as the shots above, just un-cropped to show you the focal length difference:

6mp at 1-60th.jpg

8mp at 1-60th.jpg

I have successfully (attempted) to re-focus the 8mp so we'll see if the detail comes around after the re-focus. Still, the amount of light showing up in the 8mp leads me to believe it's not going to make a difference in that respect.

Burton_Flooring

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Posted one more shot comparing the H.265 Lite Series to the 6mp in that thread: Lite H.265 series?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's probably a better all around day/night camera than the 6mp (due to better details in low light). I would probably do a whole system in these if the lighting was in between needing a true STARLIGHT (5231) and the 8mp line.

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone know what the difference is between the hdw5631R-ZE and the hdw5631RP-ZE Camera?

Thanks.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That certainly seems like a difference...
Yes, it denotes which version of the firmware ships with the hardware. There is no hardware difference between the P/N versions, and the hardware is capable of running either the P or the N version. Since it only takes a minute or so to switch the firmware between the P/N versions, I think that's why most folks here don't consider it to be a real difference.

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, it denotes which version of the firmware ships with the hardware. There is no hardware difference between the P/N versions, and the hardware is capable of running either the P or the N version. Since it only takes a minute or so to switch the firmware between the P/N versions, I think that's why most folks here don't consider it to be a real difference.
Thanks, that makes sense now. Just one more thing to highlight how little I know.

So, if I’m in the USA, and I just got this new camera, should I replace the firmware with the “N” version before I install it and start playing with it?

When I connect to the camera’s web interface will the version installed denote if it’s the P or N version?

If I have to reload the firmware, where do I get the correct version?

Thanks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, that makes sense now. Just one more thing to highlight how little I know.

So, if I’m in the USA, and I just got this new camera, should I replace the firmware with the “N” version before I install it and start playing with it?

When I connect to the camera’s web interface will the version installed denote if it’s the P or N version?

If I have to reload the firmware, where do I get the correct version?

Thanks.
for most folks, it doesn't matter which. It's all digital. And yes you can see the version number in the cam's interface.
Get the firmware at the product page on the Dahua Technology - Leading Video Surveillance Solution Provider with CCTV Produc site.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use the DahuaSunriseSunset tool to automatically flip my cameras into night mode (B/W) a bit after sunset.

I was a bit surprised to see the difference in light performance at dusk (which isn't really low light) between the 5631 (red box) vs the other cameras (all 2MP Starlight models).

5631.png