Dahua DH-IPC-HDW2439TP-AS-LED-S2 Firmware Upgrade Problem

aidil

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I've a Dahua IPC-HDW2439TP-AS-LED-S2 which runs on firmware version V.2.800.000000.16.R dated 2020-04-18. I found a newer firmware V2.820.0000000.30.R.210508 on Dahua website. I'm unable to update to the newest version either using the Config Tools, SmartPSS or the web browser. On the Config Tools it says "incorrect username and password" (see attachment), while nothing happen on the SmartPSS and web browser when I click on the upgrade button. I've no problem login into the IP cam, viewing or change other setting via my usual username and password. So what am I missing here? Is there any other username/password or do I need to reset to default password in order to upgrade the firmware? Or do I've a chinese version camere with hacked firmware which blocked any official firmware upgrade?

Any feedback help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

upgrade 1.jpgupgrade 2.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So you really need to ask yourself, why am I updating? If it is just for kicks, then stay with what is working.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need. A Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind, and a certain PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind, a Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen. Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1614546148413.png

aidil

n3wb
Reaction score
So you really need to ask yourself, why am I updating? If it is just for kicks, then stay with what is working.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need. A Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind, and a certain PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind, a Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen. Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1614546148413.png
Thanks for the feedback. Yup totally understood about the current market of Dahua chinese version vs international version products.

For me its just comman to update to the newest firmware of a certain products if its become available from the manufacturer. I believed majority of the consumers will do that to their smartphones, routers, etc. I am quite new to the IP camera world but my work nature relates to other hardware + software relationship. For me the manufacturers/programmers shouldn't release a new firmware which will fix a certain bugs or added a new features but at the same time broke a non-related features functionality in the updates. Throughout testing of a new firmware should be done to all of the available features so that it won't affect other functions or minimize the affect as low as possible.

Ok back to my main concern, i still don't understand why I am not able to update to the newest official firmware from the manufacturer. From my understanding, many vendors that sell chinese version camera told not to update the firmware which seems like in general, actually you CAN flash a firmware file to the chinese version camera but it will brick it. In my case, I'm CAN'T flash the firmware at all. Is it because there is a certain steps that I missed? Or does the hacked version are able to disable any firmware flashing which I don't know? If its due to I'm having a chinese version with a hacked firmware, how am I able to verify 100% that its a hacked firmware? Any tools or ways to detect a hacked firmware other than bricking the camera..haha?

Thanks.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us here are running older firmware. My only cameras running the most recent firmware is the last one I bought.

Most IP camera/NVR manufacturers never issue new firmware. Dahua and Hikvision are two that do but not very frequently, and a few others do as well, but updating of these devices are not as common as smartphones, apps, etc.

Most of us here have our cameras isolated from the internet, so there is no security concern. So we only update if it is fixing an issue we are having.

Just this past week someone came here because they had the 49225 PTZ with autotracking and updated to the newest firmware under the same mindset of you and then lost autotrack as Dahua removed that from that camera for all new 49225 PTZs. Autotracking is the reason why people buy that camera.

So back to your question, many of these cameras are hard-coded with a region code and if you are trying to update a firmware and the first step is it checks the region code of the camera and if that firmware isn't for that region, it stops and prevents the update. That could be a sign you have a hacked camera as well.

alecz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think I have the same model as you and I managed to upgrade the firmware via the camera's web interface as admin.
1708754573463.png

If you still want to upgrade try the Online upgrade - that worked for me
1708754626836.png
You do need to give at least temporary internet access, or maybe try to browse to the firmware file.

But at vittaj says, upgrade for the right reasons (or accept the risks of bricking).