Dahua channel change

Rocky388

n3wb
Reaction score
I was tinkering last night and saw that I can connect individually to 2 out of my 3 dahua cameras through my dahua NVR5216. A nice feature that allows some of the finer settings not available through the nvr itself. I was able to delete and add the third camera, and then was able to connect to that one as well.

The problem is it threw my cameras out of order. On my screen they came up as d1, d2, and d4. I deleted all of them through the camera registration screen, and added them in the order I wanted (1, 2, and 3). Once I did that, I lost the capability to connect to the cameras individually, however the camera feed was still working. Duplicates of the 3 cameras then came up and self registered as d4, d5, and d6.

I went ahead and tried changing the IP addresses of the cameras to try and "forget" them, so I can then add them in the order I want to no avail. The IP address of each camera actually reverted back to its original IP at some point as well, I have no idea how.

I've tried researching this and can't find a solution. Right now I have no feed on d1 and d2, and a camera on d3, d4, and d5. I can still connect to these cameras individually, however I actually made my numbering worse.

Is there a way to change the camera channel? Sorry for the long post, trying to give as much detail as I can. Hoping to straighten this out without resetting the nvr. Seems like this should be a simple task.

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Far as I can tell there's no way to change the order around other than deleting and re-adding. Try dis connecting everything from the nvr and reboot it. Then add the cameras back one at a time in the order you want.

Rocky388

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried deleting as re adding, but never rebooted. That probably would have done it. I found a YouTube earlier today that suggested going to "system" then "default", unchecking all the boxes aside from "camera" and pressing apply.

That straightened everything out. Thanks!

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have not found ANY way to force the nvr to put cameras in proper order. I went so far as to reset to factory defaults, configure network, added the first camera, made sure everything was saved,and then rebooted. Then added cameras #2, saved, rebooted. Then the third, etc. The first five cameras added fine and were in the correct order, but when I added the sixth, the NVR decided to put it on D2 and the one that was on D2 went to D6. I gave up.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Xeddog ,
If adding the 6th cam consistently re-orders the cam, ie: 6th cam becomes #2, and #2 becomes #6, then simply plan for that.
Start over, using the process you described. But add the cameras in this order: 1,6,2,3,4,5,2
When the NVR renumbers the cams, they'll be in your preferred order.

Good luck,
Fastb

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you're just concerned about how they display on screen, there's a "sequence" screen in the 5216 settings where you can literally just drag and drop each screen into whichever order you want (i accessed it by right clicking while in live view, not sure if there are other ways to access it). It does not change the actual channel number though, it just changes the order the channels are displayed. So it works for the NVR, but then you have to go and do the same thing on every other device you're using to access the cams as they will just order the cams by channel number (most likely). Not a big deal for me personally.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Xeddog ,
If adding the 6th cam consistently re-orders the cam, ie: 6th cam becomes #2, and #2 becomes #6, then simply plan for that.
Start over, using the process you described. But add the cameras in this order: 1,6,2,3,4,5,2
When the NVR renumbers the cams, they'll be in your preferred order.

Good luck,
Fastb
Fast - that was just an example, and the last one I tried. I could not find any consistency regarding how the NVR decides what to put where.

Big Ry - I know you can do that, but it isn't permanent. You have to change them every time you login.

This is THE ONE thing that just drives me crazy about this NVR.

Xeddog

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fast - that was just an example, and the last one I tried. I could not find any consistency regarding how the NVR decides what to put where.

Big Ry - I know you can do that, but it isn't permanent. You have to change them every time you login.

This is THE ONE thing that just drives me crazy about this NVR.

Xeddog
I just logged back into mine, and they're still in the order i set...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk