Dahua Cameras True WDR (120db) vs DWDR

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those who are familiar with Dahua's WDR settings will know that the higher end cameras equipped with True WDR (120db and up) are only True WDR when set from 45% and upwards. With WDR on and set to anything below 45% it uses only DWDR - that being software based by only adjusting the gamma and contrast on a single image and no longer using the camera's sensors capturing two images at once at both high and low ranges and overlaying them together.

I use mainly WizMind DH-IPC-HFW5442E-ZE cameras outdoors with most set to using WDR depending on the scene; some are set to 50%, others 45% and others well below 45% at around 20% to 30%.

There is a big image colour difference when changing from DWDR to True WDR even when moving from 44% (DWDR) to 45% (True WDR).

We all know that one of the negatives of WDR is that it can induce motion blur, which is not ideal especially when facial identification is required.

So my question is (to those who have experience playing with WDR settings on Dahua cameras or have a good understanding of WDR): If I require a low level of WDR; is it better to leave it at 45% knowing it is True WDR than moving to like 20% / 30% which would mean it is achieving WDR by using DWDR, when I desire the cleanest, most balanced image from a scene with a wide range of light levels (due to the sun, shadows from trees and bright reflections from walls) with the least amount of motion blur?

Thanks for your time, and look forward to the feedback...