Dahua cameras (Andy's) - Settings / System / Safety / System Service - which to turn off

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As per a previous post I'm going through all my settings on Andy's cameras and now I've got to the menu: Settings / System / Safety / System Service, image as follows:

05-03-System-Saftey-1-system-service.jpg

I run Blue Iris for all my cameras, only access the web interface for making changes. What services could I disable that will not interrupt the whole system? I don't know what CGI Service or Genetec Service does, so unsure whether to disable those items. I'm guessing the Mobile Push is not required as I don't access the camera directly from a phone.

EDIT: I've just disabled CGI Service, Genetec Service and Mobile Push, it's now a wait'n'see what happens.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Multicast/Broadcast I think is needed for the Dahua Config Tool to find the cams if you use that.
Password reset is kind of obvious but if you have the cams blocked as most do when using BI, they won't be able to get there anyway so kind of pointless. Can leave either way without any effect.
CGi is needed if you want to send commands to the cams using the web API or other calls/things that use it like the day/night utility.
ONVIF is needed.
Genetec you can turn off.
Mobile push you can turn off if using BI as you said.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are on VLAN, just leave it alone LOL.

You will end up changing something you don't know what it means and end up missing video or something else.

I remember a thread once were we went round and round trying to troubleshoot an issue and none of us could figure it out.

Here the person unchecked everything above thinking it was making their cameras already isolated from the internet more secure.

As long as it is isolated and P2P and UPnP is turned off, you are good.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You are on VLAN, just leave it alone LOL.

You will end up changing something you don't know what it means and end up missing video or something else.

I remember a thread once were we went round and round trying to troubleshoot an issue and none of us could figure it out.

Here the person unchecked everything above thinking it was making their cameras already isolated from the internet more secure.

As long as it is isolated and P2P and UPnP is turned off, you are good.
You are absolutely right but the curiosity got the better of me. Before I posted these threads, I did hit the web and the Dahua wiki to try and get an understanding of what each component does or doesn't do. FWIW, PSP and UPnP were already disabled. My curiosity was piqued because I could see in my Unify logs that my firewall rules were in fact blocking all outbound attempts from my cameras. The attempts were constantly attempted every few minutes, not hours apart, so I thought I could at least see if I could reduce the attempts. Most were blocked attempting to access DNS server 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 Some were attempting to access specific IP addresses and I reckon for those ones, it is where I left the auto upgrade checked. As a result, I believe setting the DNS servers to 0.0.0.0, the attempts have ceased, except for two cameras, where they continue to try and access 8.8.8.8 even though the DNS is 0.0.0.0.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yea unchecking the auto update is a good one to uncheck. I have on all mine even though they are isolated LOL.

Yeah those issues you see are something hard-coded in the firmware.

Try setting the DNS as the IP address of the camera and see if that stops the problematic cameras.

roymickton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've disabled everything apart from Password reset even though my camera is on VLAN100.

I try disable as much as I can to stop my network creating unnecessary noise.

I use BlueIris FYI. Never had a problem since I disabled all those services. I don't use the Day/Night service though so your mileage may vary.