Dahua Camera Choice - Front of House - Front Door and Driveway

Jackson200

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I am looking at putting 3 camera at the front of the house. POE and a NVR.

I saw Wittaj said

A few other tips....It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k (8MP) cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).
At the front door which also has bright security lights, i was thinking of this

Dahua TIOC Advanced 2.0 DH-IPC-HDW3849HP-AS-PV-0280B-S3 Dahua 8MP AI Active Deterrence Full color Starlight IP Turret Camera

I realise its a 2.8mm fixed lens combined with a 8MP but right at the front door with bright light at night it should be fine.

I was thinking of then putting the same camera on the driveway (only lights around are the up/down lights on some nearby walls) but realise i should go for lower MP? can people point out a DAHUA model that meets this need? note the Australian link above as I am in Australia.

Also what do you think of the

Dahua TIOC Advanced 2.0 DH-IPC-HDW3849HP-AS-PV-0280B-S3 Dahua 8MP AI Active Deterrence Full color Starlight IP Turret Camera​
vs​
Dahua TIOC Advanced 2.0 DH-IPC-HDW3549HP-AS-PV-0280B-S3 Dahua 5MP AI Active Deterrence Full color Starlight IP Turret Camera

thankyou

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That 3849 is an 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, so it is on a horrible MP/sensor ratio. You cannot have enough light at night for it to perform well.

Even worse, this 8MP is on the same sensor and CPU as a 2MP non TIOC camera and there are many threads here showing how under-performing that 3849 is. They had to limit bitrate and other parameters on the 3849 to try to make it functional, and it just doesn't cut it.

In my opinion the 3849 should not be sold with that current MP/sensor and CPU combination, but alas everybody wants 4k and chases MP over sensor and this camera is the epitome of that thinking.

Lot's of threads here where people showed how bad the camera is in performing:

Further, the red/blue flashing lights are more gimmicky and are certainly not a deterrent. With any ambient light you won't see the red/blue flashing unless you are looking right at the camera.

If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them. I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside.

Reach out to @EMPIRETECANDY as he sells Dahua OEM and see if he can ship to you.

Last edited:

Jackson200

n3wb
Reaction score
thankyou for the reply, I hadn't really though of Loryta , a local dealer who i had talked to re install said he didn't sell them and they're not the quality of DAHUA and HikVision, but I know they sometimes just say that.

Do you have a 2mp Dahua you could recommend out of interest as well?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, your local dealer doesn't want to lose a sale LOL. I guarantee you he does not have the relationship with Dahua and Hikvision that Andy @EMPIRETECANDY has.

Andy's cameras are Dahua and Hikvision OEM equipment sold under the names Loryta and Empiretech.

Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon and AliExpress store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua units. If you get a unit that has Dahua on it, then the camera GUI will say Dahua; otherwise it will simply say IP Camera but looks identical except without the logo. Some of his cameras may come with EmpireTech stamped on them as well.

As long you you by from the vendor EmpireTech or Loryta on Amazon (or AliExpress), they are Andy cams and Dahua or Hikvision OEM.

His cameras and NVRs are international models and many of them are not available through Dahua and Hikvision authorized dealers, but his cameras and NVRs are usually better than what you can find from an authorized dealer. You select the country at camera initialization.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras and NVRs from the Dahua and Hikvision website, thus proving they are real Dahua and Hikvision. But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it. Look at the Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor as an example - Dahua provided that to Andy for sale before Dahua even made it available and look at all the improvements being made to the firmware from input from customers right here on this site. And the kicker is, we are not Dahua's target market - it is the professional installers...

You do have to be careful with some rebranded cameras purchased from other vendors as they are cameras that are for the Chinese region but have been hacked into English but then are not able to be updated or they will brick. Buying from a reputable source is key to make sure that doesn't happen.

I mentioned in my first post that if you are looking for active deterrence in 2MP, the 5241 is a great choice. I have two of them.

Otherwise, any of the 2MP from Andy are all great cameras on the proper MP/sensor ratio. Here is his Amazon link that you can look at.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thankyou for the reply, I hadn't really though of Loryta , a local dealer who i had talked to re install said he didn't sell them and they're not the quality of DAHUA and HikVision, but I know they sometimes just say that.

Do you have a 2mp Dahua you could recommend out of interest as well?
Welcome @Jackson200

I'd put my trust level with that Dealer to be very low, perhaps even close to about the level I trust the USA President .. perhaps even Putin ..

Either way you know you can not trust that Dealer.

Jackson200

n3wb
Reaction score
I have now seen this thread

Ultra Low Light Full-Color 4K, 8MP Smart AI Bullet IP Camera IPC-Color4K-X
Too bad DAHUA in their ball cameras dont offer a 8MP 1/1.2″ CMOS image sensor,

ctm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have now seen this thread

Ultra Low Light Full-Color 4K, 8MP Smart AI Bullet IP Camera IPC-Color4K-X
Too bad DAHUA in their ball cameras dont offer a 8MP 1/1.2″ CMOS image sensor,
You want the Ipc-color4k-T (assuming by ball, you meant eyeball/turret).
Most folks who go Dahua here stick to the 5442 models for 4MP and ipc-color4k models for 8MP, and I think the 5231/5241 for 2MP.
I replaced some "lite" 8mp cameras (US rebranded Dahua with 1/2.7" sensors) with the 5442 series and despite being half the MP, the cameras are so much clearer (especially at night, but even during the day).
For a 2MP camera, stick with the 1/2.7" sensor, for 4MP, stick with 1/1.8" sensor and for 8MP you want the 1/1.2". The 8MP (Color4k) are expensive, but worth it. That being said, you can have an extraordinarily good setup capturing all the details you want with the right 2MP or 4MP cameras (as long as you get the right focal lengths or a varifocal).