Dahua Camera and NVR recommendation

Reaction score
Seems Dahua is the most recommended camera here.
Should I get Dahua's own NVR or install ZoneMinder on separate machine? I rather not go Iris route as I don't want 3rd party setup that's not Open Source.

If I'm going ZoneMinder, which camera would be recommended? Reading through the wiki there's quite a few gotcha's ZoneMinder Wiki - Wiki - Dahua
I'm trying to setup something once and forget. I already do tons of support at work.

Any help is welcomed.

P.S. I was originally thinking reolink due to ease of setup and easy way to order from their website, but reading threads on here about settings constantly being overwritten is convincing me to go Dahua route.
Even though I'll need to go through reseller now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Fortunately for you we have a great Dahua OEM reseller here @EMPIRETECANDY that you can buy direct or from his Amazon store. We have plenty of members from Canada here that buy from him.

The biggest issue with reolink is they perform poorly at night.

See this thread for the most commonly recommended cameras based on distance to IDENTIFY, along with links. These represent the best value in terms of price, performance day and night, and reliability:

Reaction score
Fortunately for you we have a great Dahua OEM reseller here @EMPIRETECANDY that you can buy direct or from his Amazon store. We have plenty of members from Canada here that buy from him.

The biggest issue with reolink is they perform poorly at night.

See this thread for the most commonly recommended cameras based on distance to IDENTIFY, along with links. These represent the best value in terms of price, performance day and night, and reliability:

Yep read through the thread, Is Loryta same thing as Dahua? As those the camera listed

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems Dahua is the most recommended camera here.
Should I get Dahua's own NVR or install ZoneMinder on separate machine? I rather not go Iris route as I don't want 3rd party setup that's not Open Source.

If I'm going ZoneMinder, which camera would be recommended? Reading through the wiki there's quite a few gotcha's ZoneMinder Wiki - Wiki - Dahua
I'm trying to setup something once and forget. I already do tons of support at work.

Any help is welcomed.

P.S. I was originally thinking reolink due to ease of setup and easy way to order from their website, but reading threads on here about settings constantly being overwritten is convincing me to go Dahua route.
Even though I'll need to go through reseller now.
Welcome @Sir-Alex-Leo

Dahua NVR iirc has non-open sourced code ..

if you're looking to run free VMS .. Dahua does have SmartPSS and DSS ( replacing SmartPSS .. search the treads for more on this and look for Andy's post on it )

Reaction score
Welcome @Sir-Alex-Leo

Dahua NVR iirc has non-open sourced code ..

if you're looking to run free VMS .. Dahua does have SmartPSS and DSS ( replacing SmartPSS .. search the treads for more on this and look for Andy's post on it )
I'm probably ok with Dahua's NVR, since I'm already trusting their cameras. I was thinking more in terms of reliability between Standalone NVR or rolling with ZoneMinder

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was thinking more in terms of reliability between Standalone NVR or rolling with ZoneMinder
It all depends on how you setup ZoneMinder or another kind of VMS.

I use an NVR and it is perfectly stable. I like an NVR for the small space with everything built in.

Windows is often described as unstable in some cases..... would that entail Blue Iris running on Windows is unstable?
No... it takes some effort to make Windows not try and do something to make it unstable. Such as stopping Windows from unnessercery updates.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A BI/PC can be a very reliable system. Turn off auto updates and you have a more powerful NVR....

A SFF computer isn't much bigger than an NVR and you don't need a monitor and keyboard hooked to it - remote in to it and place the computer out of the way.

BI allows for anonymous update of performance data. People have had it running nonstop for over 1900 days, or 5 years... And I suspect that the last time it rebooted was when they manually did it...I was an NVR user before I made the switch and I never had an NVR last 5 years LOL

1676863587159.png

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't speak to zone minder reliability. On the Dahua NVR mine has been running 24x7 for about 5 years and has restarted itself for some reason 2 or 3 times over that period.

Reaction score
I see thanks everyone. I'll start pricing out and figuring out how many cameras I'll need and where to run the cables.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep read through the thread, Is Loryta same thing as Dahua? As those the camera listed
Andy's (Empiretech) cameras are Dahua equipment sold under the names Loryta and Empiretech. He also supplies them to the ipcamtalk store.

Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon and AliExpress store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua units. If you get a unit that has Dahua on it, then the camera GUI will say Dahua; otherwise it will simply say IP Camera but looks identical except without the logo. Some of his cameras may come with EmpireTech stamped on them as well.

As long you you buy from the vendor EmpireTech or Loryta on Amazon (or AliExpress), they are Andy cams and Dahua OEM.

His cameras and NVRs are international models and many of them are not available through Dahua USA authorized dealers, but his cameras and NVRs are usually better than what you can find from a USA authorized dealer.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras and NVRs from the Dahua website, thus proving they are real Dahua. But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 and 49425 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it. Look at the Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor as an example - Dahua provides cameras to Andy to sell before Dahua even made it available and look at all the improvements being made to the firmware from input from customers right here on this site. And the kicker is, we are not Dahua's target market - it is the professional installers...

You do have to be careful with some rebranded cameras purchased from other vendors as they are cameras that are for the Chinese region but have been hacked into English but then are not able to be updated or they will brick. Buying from a reputable source is key to make sure that doesn't happen.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd like a 8 or 16 channel smart nvr with a a few 1/1.2 or 1/1,8 cameras.

edit to say i finally installed one of the 4mp cams from empire tech that has a 1/1.8 sensor. My other cameras are 8mp with 1/2.7 senseors. When it got dark the cam with the 1/1.8 sensor had a much better picture. With just the ambiant light from other houses and a street light it never went into black and white/night mode.

so ....everyone on this site has said many times the sensor size is most important. They cost more but obviously are worth it. I'm gonna save up for a camera with the 1/1.2 sensor. I also want the AI fearures in my nvr and camera. So if i can, im gonna replace my nvr and upgrad a few cameras. Give my system to my neighboor who just purchased one of those cheap harbor freight systems.

Last edited: