Dahua Cam long distance question

Sim31

n3wb
Reaction score
So I been looking through 10+ pages of threads on this forum but haven't found much result except for this topic which for my situation, its not for a PTZ but if im able to in the future use a PTZ then im all for it..

What I just recently purchased and set up for a friend was (2) IPC-T5442TM-AS cams, TP-Link TL-SG1008PE 8-Port Gigabit Switch with 8 Port POE, Monoprice Cat5e Ethernet Bulk Cable - Solid, 350MHz, UTP, CMR, Riser Rated, Pure Bare Copper, 24AWG, 1000ft, Blue, ReelexII (UL)(TAA) and then using Blue Iris, similar to my set up here at home.

Now with my friends location, we ran the CAT5E across utility poles, the 1st camera is right around 300 ft, and the 2nd (last camera) is about 600 ft, when I plugged them both into the switch, both POE status lights comes on, then on the 1st camera, it shows the Link/Act status light working/blinking and getting the camera feed successfully with no drop outs, however the 2nd camera there is no Link/Act status light, just the static/constant on POE Status light. I remember that cat5e cable has a limit on how far they can transmit for a POE camera, believe it was 328 ft, i could be wrong on that, been doing several google searches. however I was wondering if there is a device such as a POE splitter/injector or something else to get enough power to get it to successfully transmit video.

If its needed, there can be power supplied to the camera at the utility pole however, if we can avoid that, that would be perfectly great also.

Looking for suggestions/solutions.

Reaction score
I remember that cat5e cable has a limit on how far they can transmit for a POE camera, believe it was 328 ft
That limit is for data, not POE power. Of course the voltage will drop over distance but the 328feet is the limit of data transmission over ethernet.

While I have not used this item POE-EXT-GD-HP-Outdoor GigE PoE/Ethernet Extender,100M , it seems to extend both the POE power and the data signal up to 200meters by placing it mid-span at 100m and is powered by the POE switch it is connected to.

Realize that stringing 600+ feet of cat5e on utility poles is a great way to invite lighting to fry your equipment.

Sim31

n3wb
Reaction score
That limit is for data, not POE power. Of course the voltage will drop over distance but the 328feet is the limit of data transmission over ethernet.

While I have not used this item POE-EXT-GD-HP-Outdoor GigE PoE/Ethernet Extender,100M , it seems to extend both the POE power and the data signal up to 200meters by placing it mid-span at 100m and is powered by the POE switch it is connected to.

Realize that stringing 600+ feet of cat5e on utility poles is a great way to invite lighting to fry your equipment.
Thank you for that link. It is up there in price just for that but as he said, if it gets the job done then he doesn't mind to pay that. For the work we did, it is temporary for 2 to 3 months until he gets his newly built house complete and then we are taking down the cat5 cabling thats hanging on the power poles as everything will be ran underground to his new house that's closer to the 2nd camera.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Consider either fiber optic cable or dedicated RF links for those cameras. Either will provide total isolation for lightening and surge protection for the system.

Sim31

n3wb
Reaction score
Consider either fiber optic cable or dedicated RF links for those cameras. Either will provide total isolation for lightening and surge protection for the system.
Will do. Would you happen to have any recommendations on what types of fiber optic cable or RF Links and links to narrow down what I would need?

Also how does the Dahua Technology PFT1300 PoE Passive Extender fair against the extender that "Samplenhold" posted above?

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a post where I am using an 4 port EPOE switch for 750 ft distant camera. Works fine. I am having a problem with putting a 2nd camera on the switch. Have had it before and all I did was pull the power plug to the switch and restart it, and the 2nd cam came up. Back then it worked. The 2nd camera is 2ft from the switch..

Sim31

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a post where I am using an 4 port EPOE switch for 750 ft distant camera. Works fine. I am having a problem with putting a 2nd camera on the switch. Have had it before and all I did was pull the power plug to the switch and restart it, and the 2nd cam came up. Back then it worked. The 2nd camera is 2ft from the switch..
I think I came across that post a few days ago, what brand is the EPOE switch that you are using? and odd that the 2nd camera is only 2ft from the switch but not working like it should.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is the PFL2106-4ET-96 Dahua brand. I might have it hooked up wrong. Got a 5216-16P-4ks2 Dahua NVR. The switch is connected to one of the NVR's POE ethernet ports, not the internet port. It might be that the port only allows one camera. If I change cameras with only 1 connected, that camera works. If I hook the 2nd one up, always the last connected won't work. More research.

teemu81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another option is to use a switch like the PFS3010-8ET-96 These PoE switches can work with an extended mode by switching that little button to the left, which allows for cable runs about 250m (around 800 ft), the drawback is the PoE ports of the switch will drop the speed from 10/100 to just 10, still should be enough for a camera.
On the tests I've been doing this extended mode is quite picky with the wire you use, I've got it working perfectly on a run of 650 ft while some installers using a cheaper wire couldn't go over 400 ft

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got it to working. Went under the doublewide and installed 2 Cat6 cables, one for the NVR, one for the EPOE switch. Hooked them up to my normal router. Had to change IP address of 2 cameras to from 10.1.1.xx to 192.168.1.150 and 151. Then added them manually to NVR remote list. Works now.