Dahua box camera above 12MP?

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Curious if anyone knows when Dahua might release a box camera higher than 12MP resolution.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Good question. I don't know when Dahua will but manufacturers generally over the past few years have slowed significantly in ramping up higher resolution cameras (beyond 4K and 12MP which is generally the 4:3 aspect ratio 'companion' to 4K imagers / cameras).

On the positive side for those wanting higher resolution, both of the two major SoC manufacturers (Ambarella and Hisilicon) have been promoting 8K / 33MP and usually, camera manufacturers follow with products a few years after that. One confounding factor is that even camera manufacturers are starting to view further increases in resolution as being less advantageous given limitations in how wide / far the average surveillance camera needs to cover. At least partially related (along with Chinese government spending), the focus now is same resolution but with AI / deep learning.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good question. I don't know when Dahua will but manufacturers generally over the past few years have slowed significantly in ramping up higher resolution cameras (beyond 4K and 12MP which is generally the 4:3 aspect ratio 'companion' to 4K imagers / cameras).

On the positive side for those wanting higher resolution, both of the two major SoC manufacturers (Ambarella and Hisilicon) have been promoting 8K / 33MP and usually, camera manufacturers follow with products a few years after that. One confounding factor is that even camera manufacturers are starting to view further increases in resolution as being less advantageous given limitations in how wide / far the average surveillance camera needs to cover. At least partially related (along with Chinese government spending), the focus now is same resolution but with AI / deep learning.
Now if we could just have a breakthrough in low light sensors. I noticed that Hikvision has introduced double light sensors (from the IPVM article) on some of their new cameras. (1 IR sensor delivers image brightness, the other sensor for visible light guarantees vivid color.)

I wonder if Dahua will follow suit? I didn't get a chance to read the article. Curious how much the extra sensor helps.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
both of the two major SoC manufacturers (Ambarella and Hisilicon) have been promoting 8K / 33MP and usually, camera manufacturers follow with products a few years after that.
I know we can currently pick up Dahua 12MP ip cameras for around the $300-$400 price range. Do you happen to know how much the lowest cost 33MP ip camera costs?

Mostly just curious. I know Avigilon has had high resolution cameras before most others but their prices have always been staggering (their 7K H4 cameras come to mind - way too expensive for residential non-superstar use). Curious if any other companies have any current 33MP ip cams and what the lowest one cost. (if not yet, maybe when the release dates are planned). (not referring to any of the Arecont cameras that just combine multiple cameras).

I picked up a 12 MP Dahua IPC-HF81200E last year and I still like it a lot (daytime viewing) but I would like to experiment with a 33MP some time in the future if the price is right just for fun. (instant zoom, performance statistics, etc.)

Last edited:

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Single imager 20MP and up cameras run in the ~$5,000 range (Axis, Sony, Avigilon being the most notable suppliers). Btw, no one has 33MP single imager cameras on the market today with Avigilon at the 'top' with 30MP. This, of course, will change in time.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've always wondered how much better a sensor could be at low light if it didn't have to worry about colors. E.g. a sensor where all the pixels are optimized for 850nm light.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Single imager 20MP and up cameras run in the ~$5,000 range (Axis, Sony, Avigilon being the most notable suppliers). Btw, no one has 33MP single imager cameras on the market today with Avigilon at the 'top' with 30MP. This, of course, will change in time.
So 12MP is the best it gets resolution-wise in the sane price ranges?