Dahua and internet: What are the shades of grey?

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have no idea how p2p would work on the NVR, I never tried with my Dahua stuff.
So your option 5 uses a smartphone and a PC at home? How is that connection established? P2P?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The option 5 uses a PC at home and laptop on the road. I guess Team Viewer can be run on a smartphone. Never tried it. I hate smartphones. Team Viewer uses P2P, as does Zero Tier. VPNs use an open port. We hear that it's dangerous to use P2P or have ports open, yet pretty much everybody using remote access is using one or the other. It's not the underlying method that determines the security, but the individual implementation. I think the only thing that gives the VPN a security edge over P2P is there's no unknown server in the middle of the connection. If a P2P server is secure and trusted, and the traffic encrypted, it's IMO as secure as a VPN. A P2P server can be compromised, then again, the VPN built into routers could have a backdoor. Hard to trust anything these days.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The option 5 uses a PC at home and laptop on the road. I guess Team Viewer can be run on a smartphone. Never tried it. I hate smartphones.
I am not exactly a smartphone fan either. I guess using SmartPSS on a smartphone isn't much fun.

I hardly ever use the phone apps on my consumer cams, although they work quite well. I could basically set up option 4 but then lock the NVR in again except for vacations. I'd say this is a time when the gains of remote viewing clearly outweigh the risks.

What is required for push messages? P2P?