Dahua 8MP Lite model cameras with 8MP 1/2.7" and 4MP 1/3" sensors labeled as "starlight" models. September 2020

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
@bigredfish Would you recommend to shift focus from strictly sensor size to prioritize min illumination and apature size?

When I started making the shift from my newbie level of consumer camera to what I have now, besides the info on this site, one method I used is to go to the Dahua international site, and I would literally click thru every camera and narrow down based on my parameters. The sensor size was a primary parameter. But now I see cameras with smaller sensors and better specs. I realize that technology advances but in general larger sensors are better. Is this still true?

Another thing I've noticed on a lot of the camera specs is a shift into reporting the minimum illumination and apature size, but leaves out the at 1/3s or at 1/30s. It would seem any camera illumination spec would look good if only reporting the 1/3s.

For example, this is the IPCHFW3841E-SA, an 8MP on the Dahua site. Based on the sensor size alone, I would not anticipate this camera giving a good picture, especially at night.

View attachment 70628

I based my purchases on the 1/30s illumination spec, my conditions, and ambient lighting conditions, so the 0.08 @ 1/30s of the 1/1.8" was good for me, and I use that as a baseline when looking at other cameras.

I dont work for Dahua just making an observation, Starlight has been used for any camera they make with their own min illumination spec of .009@F2 or better for some time.

Yes sensor size matters greatly, but I have seen and tested some cameras (the budget 4MP comes to mind) that have lesser 1/2.7 or 1/2.8 sensors, even a 1/3 that I didnt think would do well at all, did far better than previous models that used that same sensor in years past. So they must be doing other things to improve low light than just the sensor.

I like the 1/1.8" 5442/7442 series as the sweet spot for cameras currently under $500 (or $1000 in most cases). They use the same sensor in some PTZ's and a few other models as well.

Like @mat200 mentions, direct testing is most important. Its hard to match cameras with different sensors in heads up comparison as most models only come with one sensor choice.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I'll bet 9 out of every 10 folks who buy a camera have different ambient light and other location specific factors that can greatly effect the end result. So YMMV is a valid caveat ;)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, @bigredfish

So far found a few under Wiz Mind, none under Wiz Sense line up... not finding much listed in other areas.

There used to be a lot more 1/1.8" sensor models iirc

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You could be right, I dont keep up that often with their site they change stuff often.
But really the 5442 series and a few 8MP cams were the first ones I recall to use that sensor and I didnt think it was used much at all before them outside of a few very high end ones at the time, maybe the 8232 ?

Makes sense from a marketing perspective, like others they have 4-5 categories of cameras from High end to lower end, have to differentiate somehow and low light capability has always been a primary differentiator. I wouldnt expect to get the same functionality or image quality from a 'Lite" model as a high end "Wizmind" model.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could be right, I dont keep up that often with their site they change stuff often.
But really the 5442 series and a few 8MP cams were the first ones I recall to use that sensor and I didnt think it was used much at all before them outside of a few very high end ones at the time, maybe the 8232 ?

Makes sense from a marketing perspective, like others they have 4-5 categories of cameras from High end to lower end, have to differentiate somehow and low light capability has always been a primary differentiator. I wouldnt expect to get the same functionality or image quality from a 'Lite" model as a high end "Wizmind" model.
I also have not kept an eye on the Dahua international model line up, at least until recently when folks were posting info on the latest Lorex Kit at Costco - and I was surprised to see the new versions of the cameras came with smaller sensors. Eventually that got me wondering "why" / "what" and thus my search and post.