Dahua 4k-x mic quality / playback settings

cardazio

n3wb
Reaction score
The sound quality on the 4k-x was quite underwhelming out of the box. My reolink 820a was really good in terms of sound quality (not video quality though).

Any suggestions for which setting to use to pick up sound without stuttering, interuptions and overall poor fluctuating sound pick up? (capture, playback etc - not sure which part of the chain is failing at this point).

Using the mobile app or desktop web interface currently makes no difference (downloading .mp4 and have not tweaked the sound at all). I cannot reliably capture speach which I assumed would be a non issue on this camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have this camera and find the audio much better than my other cameras with audio.

Two many unknowns to troubleshoot, but I will give you a few places to start.

Disable Noise filter in the camera.

How is this connected to your network - are you watching through the DMSS app, web browser, NVR, etc. Is the camera connected to your router? These things all affect the ability to transmit the huge data needs of these cameras.

Unlike the Reolink that you saw the video is poor (and thus the poorer quality video means not as much data is being used so then the sound quality can be better) as the consumer stuff like reos and Ring prioritize audio over video, a Dahua will prioritize video over audio IF there is an issue with one's system that prevents it from passing the full bandwidth.

The next item is the camera itself and settings:

Keep in mind that these type of cameras, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing by many of us shows if you try to run these units at higher FPS and higher bitrates than needed that you will max out the CPU in the unit and then it bugs out just long enough that you miss something or video is choppy. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of units - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but trying to use the rated "spec" of every option available is usually not going to work well, either with a car or a camera or NVR.

Look at all the threads where people came here with a jitter in the video or IVS missing motion or the SD card doesn't overwrite and they were running 30FPS and when people tell them to drop the FPS and they dropped the FPS to 15FPS the camera became stable and they could actual freeze frame the image to get a clean capture. The goal of these cameras are to capture a perp, not capture smooth motion. When we see the news, are they showing the video or a freeze frame screen shot? Nobody cares if it isn't butter smooth...getting the features to make an ID is the important factor. As always, YMMV...

Further, these types of cameras are not GoPro or Hollywood type cameras that offer slow-mo capabilities and other features. They "offer" 30FPS and 60FPS to appease the general public that thinks that is what they need, but you will not find many of us here running more than 15 FPS; and movies are shot at 24 FPS, so anything above that is a waste of storage space for what these cameras are used for. If 24 FPS works for the big screen, I think 15 FPS is more than enough for phones and tablets and most monitors LOL. Many of my cameras are running at 12FPS.

In fact, many times if a CPU is maxing out, it will adhere to the FPS but then slow the shutter down to try to not max the CPU, which then produces a smooth blurry image..that is the video my neighbor gets who insists on running 60FPS. He gets smooth walking people but you can't freeze frame it cause every frame is a blur, meanwhile my 12FPS gets the clean freeze frame. Shutter speed is more important the FPS. We both run the same shutter speed by the way, but his camera CPU is maxing out and something gotta give when you push it that hard.

So to see if it is a trouble with your networking chain, go in and try the following:

H264
no smart codec
1080P resolution
1000 Bitrate
CBR
10 FPS
10 iframe
Noise filter off

See if that allows the audio to be nonchoppy. Video will probably be crap though. If it works then, then you know it is an issue somewhere along the chain and/or you were pushing the camera too hard.

cardazio

n3wb
Reaction score
I changed the fps to 15 but kept 4k resolution, h265 and 1/500s. Also changed the encoding to AAC and removed the noise filter. The sound seems to be improved as it is not fluttering during preview mode, but will have to keep testing.

Where can I see the cpu load on the camera? (No NVR).

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just trouble shot this way -

I opened a live feed in one browser and cranked the volume (so could immediately hear when the sound dropped). In another browser tab I logged into my camera and began dropping the bitrate .. 64000 caused a bottleneck I guess, and would cut out, so I dropped it to 48000 (same result), then 32000 (same issue), and finally once I dropped the bitrate down to 16000 things were fine. To be honest I can't recall if those upper bitrates even provided 'any' sound. The 32000 definitely did but would cut out. 16000 seemed the sweet spot for my system. I also use AAC, but I enable the noise filter. The sound is a LOT better on my system with it enabled.

As for other settings that may factor - Only mainstream, 4K (3840x2160), H.264, 30 FPS, 20480 VBR, I Frame Interval of 120.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just trouble shot this way -

I opened a live feed in one browser and cranked the volume (so could immediately hear when the sound dropped). In another browser tab I logged into my camera and began dropping the bitrate .. 64000 caused a bottleneck I guess, and would cut out, so I dropped it to 48000 (same result), then 32000 (same issue), and finally once I dropped the bitrate down to 16000 things were fine. To be honest I can't recall if those upper bitrates even provided 'any' sound. The 32000 definitely did but would cut out. 16000 seemed the sweet spot for my system. I also use AAC, but I enable the noise filter. The sound is a LOT better on my system with it enabled.

As for other settings that may factor - Only mainstream, 4K (3840x2160), H.264, 30 FPS, 20480 VBR, I Frame Interval of 120.
You are most likely getting sound drop outs due to packet loss, your flat cables maybe the cause.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You are most likely getting sound drop outs due to packet loss, your flat cables maybe the cause.

I think the one flat cable between me and the camera right now is a ~15' Cat7 flat cable from the Netgate router to my laptop. Would that still cause a disruption potentially? If it could I'll replace it with a regular cable.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I was thinking of PM'ing you for a short explanation of this but since it will impact folks and their audio, in the case where they might actually use a flat cable, I'll just ask here. And I just checked, and I actually use 2 flat cables between my camera and my laptop .. one from the switch, which the camera is on, which connects to the Netgate router and one from that router to my laptop. I had them laying around from when I had to run some flat line to relocate the NAS upstairs for a while.

So what is the issue with flat cable versus regular, where any of this camera stuff is concerned? Sounds like I'll be swapping in regular cables, but you've peaked my curiosity.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They have removed basically all of the shielding in order to make it flat, so it is more prone to electrical interference.

Some people get away with it and others have issues
Well seeing as it's used between my camera and my NAS, that may explain a few things. One way or another I'll swap those flat cables out. No sense wondering if I have a potential weak point in the network. Thanks.

I guess even my regular Cat5E cable (Belkin)I had laying around is crap .. my internet speed tests have just dropped a consistent 900-1000%, in comparison to the flat Cat7 I was using. That is whack...Amazon ordering now. (Wifi seems better though now that I replaced one of the flat cable with a regular Cat7 cable)

Last edited: