Dahua 4K for low light night vision

Reaction score
Recently installed some IPC-HDW2831T-AS-S2 and wasn't real impressed with the nighttime picture quality. I think my old 4MP dahua cameras were better. Any advice for which dahua 8MP camera looks best at night. This is viewing a lighted parking lot so not total darkness.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
While you're awaiting some best practices to be cited, can you post a short clip so we can see how unimpressive the quality is?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not surprising because you chased MP and not sensor size... The IPC-HDW2831T-AS-S2 is an 8MP camera on a 1/2.7" sensor. It is a budget level camera sold to those chasing MP over quality....

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k (8MP) cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL). I have 33,000 lumens and my 4MP goes B/W and is basically blind, while the 2MP can stay in color. I could just imagine how poor the 8MP would be on the same size sensor as the 2MP.

The 4K/X is the camera you want if you want 4K - it is on a 1/1.2" sensor and lets in a ton of light.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The 4K-X is ridiculously good. If you have a typical lighted lot it will look great.

wopi82

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

4K-X is at this moment the best on the market.
Read the review of it here:

Reaction score
All I can say is my profile says N3wb under it for a reason, I don't work in this space so I'm just here learning a little. Honestly I like dome cameras so I have not even looked at bullet cameras. I haven't even seen the 4K-X for sale I guess because it is so new. What would be next best option for night viewing? Doesn't have to be 8MP, I'm OK with 6MP or whatever it takes to get the job done in the current market. I'll definitely try a 4K-X if see them available for myself. This is for a buddy and his budget is sub $200 cameras. Thanks for the help so far.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@keeperofthecode - Domes are not recommended unless it is well protected from the elements. The big issue is that the domes will hold onto water droplets much longer than a turret or bullet and thus any dirt on it can then become problematic. And during a rain event, the camera is basically blind...

1642783958478.png

The domes attract lots of dust. Then rain. Then dirty rain spots. Glare from all angles of the sun. Then over time the sun will "fog" the dome like a car headlight.

As I said above, it is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k (8MP) cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL). Starlight, ColorVu, Full Color, etc. are simply marketing terms, so don't be sold on those names.

There is no camera that is 5MP or 6MP on the market that is on the proper sensor size.

2MP = 1/2.8" sensor - Dahua 5421 series
4MP = 1/1.8" sensor - Dahua 5442 series
8MP = 1/1.2" sensor - Dahua 4K/X

You can find these cameras from a member here @EMPIRETECANDY and his Amazon store. His cameras are called EmpireTech and Loryta, but they are Dahua OEM. Do some research here and you will find out what a trusted vendor Andy is and his customer service. In fact, the 4K/X we talk about was brought to market by Andy before Dahua even released it, so that is probably why you haven't seen it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The current crop of cameras with good night performance and reasonable prices, all available through Andy at EmpireTech either directly. Amazon Store or Aliexpress -

8MP Review

5442 Reviews

2231 Reviews

Dahua 4MP cube camera

Dahua Doorbell (Villa) Kit

Boobie camera

2MP Amcrest PT

25X PTZ

Andy
IPCT Thread

Andy's Store

King Security/EmpireTech Store

Email
Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com

PS - You'll be hard pressed to find better service or better pricing than what Andy can provide. That said, the IPCT store has several of these and is just as good in terms of support and pricing, just a more limited selection.