Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

crossStreet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is it possible to setup the tour to only operate for certain hours and then to default to a preset for the rest of the night?
On my NVR (NVR5216-4KS2) it is certainly possible. You can set the PTZ to go to a preset on idle, and add a timed task to do a tour. Not sure if you can do this on the camera alone.

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CCA is Copper Clad Aluminum cable. It is junk, it can cause the exact problems you are experiencing. Until you can take the cameras down and test with a store bought short cable, you are also wasting your time and space in this thread. Any cable you buy or use for POE you want to make certain it is pure copper cable of 23 or 24 awg gauge. Google is your friend.
@looney2ns speak truth! It has been my experience that CCA cable is very easy to work with because it is very flexible whereas pure copper 24AWG cable is rather inflexible and much harder to bend. CA is cheaper too. Therefore, many folks who don't know the rest of the story are naturally attracted to CCA. Ay, there's the rub!..because you get what you pay for. If you want to work with pain-in-the-ass cable try Shireen double jacketed gel-filed direct burial cable. IMO, hard to work with...but it'll never let you down. thumbsup.gif

From What is CCA What can it do to your network | Computer Cable Store...
  • Aluminum and Steel have a much higher resistance than that of the copper. Thus the use of CCA wire in Cat5e patch cables and CAT6 patch cables will lead to large amounts of data loss. This will eventually lead to slow data speeds.
  • The attenuation qualities of CCA will be far more than a normal copper based CAT5e or a CAT6 patch cable. This will in turn result in more packets of data having to be retransmitted when it is corrupted or lost at the physical layer. This effect is particularly prevalent on longer cable channels on or near the 100 meter maximum. All this combined will again, lead to a far slower connection for the users of a CCA wire based networks.
  • Although a practical evidence cannot be given as of yet due to lack of tests but the attenuation property of CCA wires provides various implications in the manufacturing of CAT5e and CAT6 patch cables. This is prevalent in the case of devices such as IP CCTV where the power is continuously juiced through the network cables throughout the year for every single minute. Theoretically, in such conditions, the radiant heat can build up faster than the environment can dissipate it. This will lead to some serious consequences with device damage taking the lower rung.
  • Aluminum has a lower tensile strength than copper. Therefore, when a CCA wire is used to manufacture a CAT5e or a CAT 6 patch cable, it can lead to some confusing and annoying situations. Due to its low tensile strength CCA wires can easily break off due to pulling or shearing forces. This increases the hassle while delivery and packaging. Also, the bend radius of a CCA wire is very less. If an installer is not knowledgeable about the fact that the CAT 5e or CAT6 patch cable in question is made up of CCA wire, it might be a highly time consuming process to trace the test failure.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

HereBull

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
+1

Would like to add my 2 cents to this as well as I've had the misfortune of dealing with CCA junk before. We got an order from our supplier of this stuff for some very long patch cables used for POE+ electric door strikes and began experiencing a myriad of issues almost immediately.

Finally found the issue when one of the door strikes shorted out when one of the pairs must've shorted out or burned up somewhere in the line. We pulled the cable and cut it open, come to find out it wasn't just CCA but some pure aluminum crap. Notified supplier who promptly shipped new cables and also requested old back to investigate.

Never cheap out on cable, especially on long runs that will carry power. I always expect to be pay about $120 a reel or more for 1k feet of Cat5E (which is moving out in favor of Cat6 or Cat6a).

If you can afford it, use Cat6 or Cat6a, the wire is thicker and is better (5e should be 24Awg, 6a should be 22). Short runs aren't that big of a concern but if I'm pushing longer runs, especially in conduit, then I'll definitely spring for the better stuff.

@looney2ns speak truth! It has been my experience that CCA cable is very easy to work with because it is very flexible whereas pure copper 24AWG cable is rather inflexible and much harder to bend. CA is cheaper too. Therefore, many folks who don't know the rest of the story are naturally attracted to CCA. Ay, there's the rub!..because you get what you pay for. If you want to work with pain-in-the-ass cable try Shireen double jacketed gel-filed direct burial cable. IMO, hard to work with...but it'll never let you down. View attachment 34149

From What is CCA What can it do to your network | Computer Cable Store...

localdevjs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all... I have this camera, purchased end of Feb 2017 from a forum member here. It works great for the most part, but every once in a while it just freezes and locks up, has to be power cycled to get the camera to respond again. From the reports I've received from the guys who are using it, they say it seems to happen when clicking buttons in software which moves the camera around; different focus point. It gets the command to focus from a preset button, and then right away it locks up and video streaming stops, have to reboot it again. It doesn't lock up all the time, but often enough (once every 2 or 3 weeks) to become a serious problem.

Is there a known issue (and fix!) for this? Or do I just have a bad one?

We're using standard linux software to stream from the camera, ffmpeg and/or gstreamer. The preset button commands are being sent via http (special protocol for that, forget the name).

It is connected via a 100 foot ethernet cable, and using this PoE injector for power.

Any tips/suggestions?

dalepa

Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all... I have this camera, purchased end of Feb 2017 from a forum member here. It works great for the most part, but every once in a while it just freezes and locks up, has to be power cycled to get the camera to respond again. From the reports I've received from the guys who are using it, they say it seems to happen when clicking buttons in software which moves the camera around; different focus point. It gets the command to focus from a preset button, and then right away it locks up and video streaming stops, have to reboot it again. It doesn't lock up all the time, but often enough (once every 2 or 3 weeks) to become a serious problem.

Is there a known issue (and fix!) for this? Or do I just have a bad one?

We're using standard linux software to stream from the camera, ffmpeg and/or gstreamer. The preset button commands are being sent via http (special protocol for that, forget the name).

It is connected via a 100 foot ethernet cable, and using this PoE injector for power.

Any tips/suggestions?
it suggests a power issue...replace the injector and double check the cable (solid copper NO CCA) and double check the crimps

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it suggests a power issue...replace the injector and double check the cable (solid copper NO CCA) and double check the crimps
What @fenderman said. thumbsup.gif

I installed my new SD49225T-HN last weekend. I love it and the camera works great, but Blue Iris has logged 410 "No Signals" over the past 12 hours. I'm guessing it's either a bad crimp or a POE problem. I'll start by swapping out the POE+ switch.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
About to attempt my 1st update from 2.422 to the latest to 2.623 on my old SD49. My new SD49 has the latest firmware and I really like the PTZ working now in BI.

Question: Do I also need to upgrade to the latest PTZ version? Do you upgrade the same way, via System->Upgrade ?
Yes to both. Be sure to set the cam back to factory defaults after updating. And set it back up.

localdevjs

n3wb
Reaction score
ok thanks. Back when the camera was installed, one of the pins (either #1 or #8) in the rj45 connector was bent, probably while the ethernet cable was being plugged into it with a bit of an angle so that the plastic edge of the clip ended up pushing that pin in the connector a little further in, and it had to be moved back into place. I assumed that was the end of it since the camera fired right up after that. But lately it's been steadily degrading.

I will replace the ethernet cable (which I built myself, crimped the ends on it) with something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Entegrade-Cat6a-Ethernet-Patch/dp/B00KWS7EAY/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1540056613&sr=8-11&keywords=100+foot+monoprice+ethernet&th=1

I'm assuming that looks good? Factory ends, shielded, 100 feet, solid copper (not CCA??). I will buy a new injector to be safe as well. My current injector was recommended on this thread back a few pages somewhere, I'm assuming the model itself is still good choice, just going to get the same one again?

So I will replace the cable and the injector; but that leaves the camera plug itself. How do I go about getting that restored properly? Is there a new dongle that can be attached or do I send the camera out to the factory for it to be replaced... ??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok thanks. Back when the camera was installed, one of the pins (either #1 or #8) in the rj45 connector was bent, probably while the ethernet cable was being plugged into it with a bit of an angle so that the plastic edge of the clip ended up pushing that pin in the connector a little further in, and it had to be moved back into place. I assumed that was the end of it since the camera fired right up after that. But lately it's been steadily degrading.

I will replace the ethernet cable (which I built myself, crimped the ends on it) with something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Entegrade-Cat6a-Ethernet-Patch/dp/B00KWS7EAY/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1540056613&sr=8-11&keywords=100+foot+monoprice+ethernet&th=1

I'm assuming that looks good? Factory ends, shielded, 100 feet, solid copper (not CCA??). I will buy a new injector to be safe as well. My current injector was recommended on this thread back a few pages somewhere, I'm assuming the model itself is still good choice, just going to get the same one again?

So I will replace the cable and the injector; but that leaves the camera plug itself. How do I go about getting that restored properly? Is there a new dongle that can be attached or do I send the camera out to the factory for it to be replaced... ??
You dont need a shielded cable...if you dont properly install and drain a shielded cable it can be worse than a standard cable.
you can cutoff the ethernet on the camera and leave enough room to install a replacement..ensure you leave enough cable on the jack side to test the pinout (the colors inside the camera are not the standard)..Also note that pin8 is not used in mode A poe.
Dahua wont repair it..the camera is too cheap to repair.
Personally, I would use a name brand poe+ switch...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

That cable is only 26awg, for that distance you want at least 24awg, or even 23awg. I'm refering to the size of the conductors, smaller the number the larger the conductor diameter. 26awg may cause too much voltage drop, and you'd be right back were you started.
If this cable is buried, or underground in conduit, or exposed to the elements, you need to use burial rated cable.

localdevjs

n3wb
Reaction score
You dont need a shielded cable...if you dont properly install and drain a shielded cable it can be worse than a standard cable.
you can cutoff the ethernet on the camera and leave enough room to install a replacement..ensure you leave enough cable on the jack side to test the pinout (the colors inside the camera are not the standard)..Also note that pin8 is not used in mode A poe.
Dahua wont repair it..the camera is too cheap to repair.
Personally, I would use a name brand poe+ switch...
So I can just chop the factory end off and then put my own female plug/socket back on? I don't have crimpers for any of that. Maybe I'll leave that alone for now and try replace just the cable and switch. Can you recommend a better poe switch that would meet my needs here for this camera? Sorry, I'm really clueless on this aspect, if you have a product name in mind that would be great!

That cable is only 26awg, for that distance you want at least 24awg, or even 23awg. I'm refering to the size of the conductors, smaller the number the larger the conductor diameter. 26awg may cause too much voltage drop, and you'd be right back were you started.
If this cable is buried, or underground in conduit, or exposed to the elements, you need to use burial rated cable.
I found two options on amazon, one is "monoprice" cable at 24awg, one is CableCreation (no name) but at 23 awg, both are apparently supposed to be solid copper. Recommendations? :) I don't care about price at this point, just want the best cable I can get to fix this.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Flexboot-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B00AJHBY7W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540340561&sr=8-2&keywords=24+awg+ethernet+cable+100+feet+pure+copper

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-CableCreation-Computer-Network-Copper/dp/B01JO3FESG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540340587&sr=8-1&keywords=23+awg+ethernet+cable+100+feet+pure+copper

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What @fenderman said. I installed my new SD49225T-HN last weekend. I love it and the camera works great, but Blue Iris has logged 410 "No Signals" over the past 12 hours. I'm guessing it's either a bad crimp or a POE problem. I'll start by swapping out the POE+ switch.
Well. This is rather exciting...but probably a tad too early to establish causation...

Here's how the camera is cabled...

SD49225T-HN PTZ CAMERA -----50' CABLE01-----SWITCH01 (POE+)-----40' CABLE02-----SWITCH02 (POE+)-----10' CABLE03-----SWITCH03 & ROUTER (NON POE)
  1. Replaced "SWITCH01 (POE+)" with a brand new POE+ Switch > Result: BI is still intermittently logging SD49225T-HN "No Signals"
  2. Replaced "40' CABLE02" with a brand new cable > Result: BI is still intermittently logging SD49225T-HN "No Signals"
  3. Unplugged "40' CABLE02" from SWITCH02 (POE+) and plugged "40' CABLE02" directly into "SWITCH03 & ROUTER (NON POE)" > Result: Zero BI "No Signals" have been logged over the past 18 hours
  4. Incidently, the blue Iris server is cabled to "SWITCH03 & ROUTER (NON POE)"
Hopefully this resolves this issue; I'll know in a couple of days.

Last edited:

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hey guys, I've got my 49225 PTZ being triggered by motion from a 5231 and when it moves to the correct preset, I'd like the PTZ to start recording, but it's currently just going there...waiting a few seconds and then heading back to my default preset--ie. not recording anything...the camera that's triggering it IS recording, but i'd like the PTZ to also record....any little trick to make this happen?

Thanks!

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anybody else upgrade to the 180913 firmware and have problems with the web interface becoming unresponsive after about 6-8 hours? I started noticing the problem on the previous version from August, but not as extensive, so I updated when I saw the 180913 available and it got way worse. I finally reverted back to the April 2018 version and it's been solid since then. I did do a full factory reset after installing 180913 including wiping the network settings, it made no difference. Not sure if it's something on my network that may be causing the problem or something built in to that firmware version. I don't have an NVR or anything else communicating with the camera, so that seems unlikely to me but you never know I guess. I don't have the camera on a separate VLAN yet.
I've just ended up with this exact situation on the 180913 firmware...to revert to the April one, it's just a matter up loading it?..no tricks needed?

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No tricks needed.
thanks...having a problem finding that April firmware...can someone direct me to it pls?....I restart the cam and PTZ stops working shortly after...worked great before this September firmware