Cube 3MP vs 4MP

tontalea

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Hikvision indoor cube cam. I see a lot of mentions of the 3MP one (DS-2CD2432F-IW) but not a lot about the 4MP (DS-2CD2442FWD-IW).

Most recommendations still seem to centre around the 3MP. Is this just because the 4MP is new, or are there other reasons that I'm missing? The cost difference seems to be negligible.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
get the 4MP, widescreen (16:9) will be better if nothing else.. the 3MP's been out forever thats why most recommendations are for em.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 4MP version is an R6 cam that supports H264+.

H264+ appears to use at least 40% less data than regular H264, and the quality is the same, if not better. Only problem is, Blue Iris still hasn't added hardware acceleration for H264+ feeds, so with the interface open your CPU will get murdered if you have a bunch of the 4MP cameras.

I have rolled out both types, and both work equally well in all other respects.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

H264+ appears to use at least 40% less data than regular H264, and the quality is the same, if not better. Only problem is, Blue Iris still hasn't added hardware acceleration for H264+ feeds, so with the interface open your CPU will get murdered if you have a bunch of the 4MP cameras.

Blue iris will never support h.264+, these specialized smart codecs are specific to manufacturers....
BI does support h.265...

Blazer8472

n3wb
Reaction score
i have 7 of the 3MP ones since mid last year. didnt even know there was an update product till signing up for this forum. Wonder if its worth the upgrade... hopefully sound quality is better and 2 way audio is actually useful and not just an echoing nightmare.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hopefully sound quality is better and 2 way audio is actually useful and not just an echoing nightmare.
Its echoing because you are in the same room and feedbacking...it works otherwise..

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its echoing because you are in the same room and feedbacking...it works otherwise..

I have the 3mp and have never been able to get 2 way to work. I can hear but talking is a joke. I am using the BI Android app from different room. Is there something I'm missing?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its not full duplex, you gotta disable the speaker to enable the microphone usually..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the 3mp and have never been able to get 2 way to work. I can hear but talking is a joke. I am using the BI Android app from different room. Is there something I'm missing?
likely related to your BI audio settings..test it with ivms4500 and it will work..

TJ01

n3wb
Reaction score

Recently switched my 4 2042 cams to h264+ and gone from about 21 days recording to over 42 days

Reaction score
its not full duplex, you gotta disable the speaker to enable the microphone usually..
likely related to your BI audio settings..test it with ivms4500 and it will work..
So can you actually get the 2-way audio to work with BI? Can you help clarify please.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So can you actually get the 2-way audio to work with BI? Can you help clarify please.
Well kinda. Its like a walkie talkie. On the BI android app, just tap the headphones to listen, then mic to talk, then mic again to go back to listen. Rinse and repeat. I haven't yet tried using IVMS4500 to see if it works any better than BI. It's really kinda jenky to have a conversation over it.
You need to have audio enabled on the camera gui first.

Reaction score
Well kinda. Its like a walkie talkie. On the BI android app, just tap the headphones to listen, then mic to talk, then mic again to go back to listen. Rinse and repeat. I haven't yet tried using IVMS4500 to see if it works any better than BI. It's really kinda jenky to have a conversation over it.
You need to have audio enabled on the camera gui first.
Thanks for your reply- that was insightful. I guess it would suffice for front porch cam.