Criminals covered their license plate with black sticker, LPC is now useless, what else I can do?

tmcdiscord

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I installed the LPC cameras to capture those criminals who are harassing us every now and then, but just today, they were going back and forth with their car around my house every 10 minutes. And their car license plate is completely covered with a sticker. As if they're telling me "Hey, you cannot catch us, and we'll keep harassing you".

What other strategy I can use to know their identity?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you get their plate before that you can notify the police?

If they were driving around every 10 minutes I am sure an officer would question them about tape over the plate...or maybe not depending on the local you are in.

That is always the problem with LPR is they could have a fake plate or cover it.

Not much else you can do other than more cameras and hope to get clean enough pics to make out the car and maybe make out the people.

tmcdiscord

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, sort of seems like A: your camera can see their vehicle. B: your camera can see their faces if they talking/yelling to you. C: There are police in your area right? Or are you in Washington or California or something???
They didn't stop their car, just going slowly around the house with their car, they didn't show their faces at all, and the camera cannot see through the front window. I'm using the Z12E LPC camera.
The police station is further away, there're no police patrolling around my area, police only patrol around the main streets

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Wow! I live way out in the boondocks and my camera catches a sheriff's vehicle every other hour at the very least. Anyway, are you saying that your camera isn't catching their vehicle well enough for identification? Are you keeping track of time with video footage? Are you sure that these are "criminals" and not just people that have nothing better to do than drive around and around and around (those kinds of people DO exist you know)?

tmcdiscord

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow! I live way out in the boondocks and my camera catches a sheriff's vehicle every other hour at the very least. Anyway, are you saying that your camera isn't catching their vehicle well enough for identification? Are you keeping track of time with video footage? Are you sure that these are "criminals" and not just people that have nothing better to do than drive around and around and around (those kinds of people DO exist you know)?
The camera has a clear footage, and can capture license plate, but they covered their license plate with a tape, so now you cannot capture them or identify them with the police.

tmcdiscord

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sometimes discrete cameras are good for this reason. Other times not, can't say here though.
Ironically enough, when we first caught them, there was no cameras at all in my house. they used to park their car a bit further, and then, we used phone to capture their license plate

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, so you have their plate and can identify their car.

If they are bad people, likely the car has distinguishing features like mix matched hubcaps, fender or door a different color, etc, busted taillight, dents, etc.

If you do not have a camera that can capture a picture of the car in color, then that is your next purchase.

How are they harassing you and have the police been notified?

If it is just drive-bys that is not against the law, it is just annoying AF.

If they are throwing out litter and crap, then @IReallyLikePizza2 and @Steve.L have some ideas to help...

tmcdiscord

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, so you have their plate and can identify their car.
No I don't have their plate, their plate is covered with tape. I have an LPC camera in color though. Here's what happened:

We first filed a case against them for first time harassing us, they were put in prison for 2 years, and now they're on a conditional release. The judge said if the prosecutor gave up the case, then their case will be closed. And now they're intimidating us to concede the case, but we refused.

Yes, it's only drive-bys, but those are the same guys before, not other dudes.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@tmcdiscord Yeah, I agree it's annoying that their license plates are covered. If they aren't leaving their car, what else can they do to you?

I guess they will need to leave their car at some point to escalate? Then capture their faces at that time.

P.S. Looks like a guy with a beard?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No I don't have their plate, their plate is covered with tape. I have an LPC camera in color though. Here's what happened:

We first filed a case against them for first time harassing us, they were put in prison for 2 years, and now they're on a conditional release. The judge said if the prosecutor gave up the case, then their case will be closed. And now they're intimidating us to concede the case, but we refused.

Yes, it's only drive-bys, but those are the same guys before, not other dudes.
More cameras, hidden and unexpected angles, try to identify defects / unique markers on the car.

If you know where the car is parked during the day, try to take pictures of it parked with the license plate exposed.

Perhaps you can get a good match of dents / other unique items.

"The judge said if the prosecutor gave up the case, then their case will be closed. "

Share data and facts with the Prosecutor ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ironically enough, when we first caught them, there was no cameras at all in my house. they used to park their car a bit further, and then, we used phone to capture their license plate
But you said here that you captured their plate by cellphone - so same car or different? If different, are you sure same person?

OK, so you have daytime shots and it appears there are some distinguishing marks. Is that toyota sticker across the bottom of the windshield standard? I haven't seen one with that. Stickers on the top of the drivers side windshield are uniquely placed. Is that a reflection on the back passenger window or is that more distinguishing marks? What about the white square at the top of that window - reflection or a sticker? Is it enough for the police or a judge to compare this pic to theirs and say same vehicle?

There are filters you can add to cameras to help with seeing inside the windshield. Obviously a lot of factors come into how successful. I seem to recall someone posting about those filters.

If they are coming by in the daytime, add more cameras and you will get an image of them.

1675208837853.png

tmcdiscord

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@tmcdiscord Yeah, I agree it's annoying that their license plates are covered. If they aren't leaving their car, what else can they do to you?

I guess they will need to leave their car at some point to escalate? Then capture their faces at that time.

P.S. Looks like a guy with a beard?
Yeah, also, I bet they will cover their faces also!