Crappy footage of a Meteorite and explosion last night, now I need FOVs for the sky...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Once he checked in on my ass once saying " where ya been" when i spent a week cartaking my father in Racine, Wi.
He thought I was a goner LOL...
So I returned the favor after his absence, and he said "he wasn't doing too well" So I didn't hound him anymore.
His bullet caliber reference to sensor size, was genius, and his ( and others ) suggestion to employ the Ubiquiti Nano wireless Lan solution was great. And it worked beautifully.
And he always @flinstoned me when there was any "jivetech" talk...
So yeah....He was a great forum member....at least from where I'm sitting.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Ubiquiti Nano wireless Lan solution" ...

Can a camera connect directly to a Ubiquiti LocoM2 2-PACK Nanostation LocoM2 AirMax Outdoor PoE CPE 2.4GHz 5+km and be viewed via a router connection at the other end?

Or, is something like a little RaspberryPi or an inovato Quadra computer required at the remote camera location?

(It's about 400' with some pine trees line of sight.)

Also, can you recommend a couple of decent cams to look at weather, etc.

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"Ubiquiti Nano wireless Lan solution" ...

Can a camera connect directly to a Ubiquiti LocoM2 2-PACK Nanostation LocoM2 AirMax Outdoor PoE CPE 2.4GHz 5+km and be viewed via a router connection at the other end?
Yes, if you configure as a Layer 2 Transparent Bridge as shown in the link and as in the below example:

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool!

What would you recommend as a remote site weather-resistant switch, please?

For testing I could use a tp-link TL-SG105 that I just remembered that I have.

Last edited:

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does it need to be a POE switch?
The TL-SG105 only needs a 5vdc power source.

I'm a little confused about the remote Ubiquiti LocoM2 2-PACK Nanostation LocoM2 AirMax Outdoor PoE device.

It doesn't require a lan cable, does it?

Just a 24vdc power source for itself and the camera?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The TL-SG105 only needs a 5vdc power source.

I'm a little confused about the remote Ubiquiti LocoM2 2-PACK Nanostation LocoM2 AirMax Outdoor PoE device.

It doesn't require a lan cable, does it?

Just a 24vdc power source for itself and the camera?
Think of the wireless link as an Ethernet cable but with data only, no POE.
Look at the image in post #25 again.

In the "Barn/Shop" area you'd connect the camera to the LAN port of the Ubiquiti POE injector if the camera is powered by a wall wart and there's only 1 camera.
If the cam is powered by a POE switch or POE injector you'd connect the "LAN" port of either of those to the LAN port of the Ubiquiti POE injector.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I get that the data link is wireless - but then what does #3 mean, please?

View attachment 173582
You need to connect the camera to the radio and that is with an ethernet cable, even if the cable is only 6" in length but it should be shielded to minimize interference given the radio is right there.

And you need another stretch of ethernet cable on the other radio to connect into your system.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to connect the camera to the radio and that is with an ethernet cable, even if the cable is only 6" in length but it should be shielded to minimize interference given the radio is right there.

And you need another stretch of ethernet cable on the other radio to connect into your system.
OK, so, all that's needed is the camera, the Ubiquiti, two short lengths of Cat6 - both connected to the "POE" box. (We'll need to add a solar panel, charge controller, & a 24v battery pack.)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be advised that the Ubiquiti Nano Stations and NS Locos use a passive 24VDC POE injector that is NOT compatible with 802.3af/at compliant POE switches, POE injectors and POE cameras.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Be advised that the Ubiquiti Nano Stations and NS Locos use a passive 24VDC POE injector that is NOT compatible with 802.3af/at compliant POE switches, POE injectors and POE cameras.
So, I just need to put 24vdc on Pairs 4, 5+ and 7, 8 - ?

Or, might that mess up the camera?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let's take the switch out of the mix and design for a single Reolink RLC-510A.
Assuming you already know that's not a very good camera at night with movement, then you'd power it with a 802.3af/at POE injector and the Ubiquiti with the 24VDC passive POE injector.
You'd connect the LAN ports of the 2 injectors with an Ethernet cable.
Assign a unique static IP for both radios and the IP camera, all in the same subnet.

EDIT: You could also power the Reolink RLC-510A cam with 12VDC, to address your introduction of the solar panel scheme.

Last edited:

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did one of these as a weathercam and there is now are burn in arcs where the sun travels through the sky. They are only seen at night best with a new moon.
View attachment 173596
Wow, that's an impressive view.

So, if burn-in is a problem, what camera would you recommend, instead?

Also, what about an affordable camera for sky/weather gazing?

BTW: I got the recommended unbranded 'Dahua' eyeball network camera online - it does a nice job of zooming to the driveway to ID plates.