Crappy footage of a Meteorite and explosion last night, now I need FOVs for the sky...

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Assuming you already know that's not a very good camera at night with movement, then you'd power it with a 802.3af/at POE injector and the Ubiquiti with the 24VDC passive POE injector.
You'd connect the LAN ports of the 2 injectors with an Ethernet cable.
Assign a unique static IP for both radios and the IP camera, all in the same subnet.

EDIT: You could also power the Reolink RLC-510A cam with 12VDC, to address your introduction of the solar panel scheme.
So, the Ubiquity requires 24vdc but the Reolink 12vdc - so, either two separate power sources or else use a dc-dc converter for the second voltage?

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, that's an impressive view.

So, if burn-in is a problem, what camera would you recommend, instead?

Also, what about an affordable camera for sky/weather gazing?
Is there an affordable alternative to the 4k/t you used - or should I just expect some burn-in and deal with it?

What about potential fogging of the lens, or moisture problems, it may need to be tilted up a little for sky & weather watching?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem is probably electronic shutter as the sensor is never really shaded. Pity they don't make a camera with a mechanical shutter or ND filters but then again just another point of failure.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What about this relabeled (Grade B Dahua) one for watching clouds, planes, satellite trains (e.g. Starlink), and weather?
The 6mm lens model with the leds disabled?
Min. Illumination :
0.0007 lux @ F1.6 (Color, 30IRE)
0.0004 lux @ F1.6 (B/W, 30IRE)

I'm reading, elsewhere, that 30IRE is good (50 is better) for low light performance @ 0.0007 and 0.0004 lux.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.