CPU selection Confusion?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How about the CPU Chip?

I have read threads saying an "i5 chip" would be sufficient for x number of cameras but more than x+1 and you want an i7...And I see many i7 variants.

So then the question becomes...Which "i7"?
I'm planning to have 8-20 4mp cams max over time.

It seems the biggies in a currently affordable price range are the i7-6700 (also called Gen 6) or the older i7-4790 (also called Gen 4) so is this one "too old" or just fine? The machines with the 4790 are typically cheaper on eBay.

Do I pick based on which HD graphics it has? This is apparently important as BI uses the HD graphics now from what I read here.
It has close to the same clock speed but has "HD 4600" vs. "HD 530" on-board graphics. I don't know anything about the HD graphics variants and its value for BI but people talk about it a lot...Does the version make a big performance difference?

...Then there are the"K" variants...a little more potent and allows for overclocking which I don't think I'll bother with.
I see the "T"s which are an "i7" but appear to be a much slower clock speed i7 for some reason...see them mostly in laptops and those "micro box" NUC computers...I assume they are slower b\c there is no way to have decent heat dissipation....So in this case the "i7(T)" is NOT necessarily a good choice for running a lot of cameras.
(Then there is the i7 S, HQ, U, MQ, X etc...not all are created equal by a long shot...I don't even want to know what else.)

It looks like I can afford systems that have either the i7-6700 or the i7-4790.

So which i7 is best suited to this load or would either of these do fine based on their specs even though one is a little older ('14 release vs '15 release)?

Useful site...too bad one of their benchmark tests is not actually running a stack of IP cameras.

CPU Boss gives the 6700 a 8.4 overall score vs. an 8 for the 4790...but I wonder how relevant is that to my intended usage.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790

In the end, I like probably anyone else here am looking for the best performance for the best price and wants to avoid spending more $$ having to upgrade for as long as possible.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't normally comment on the Blue Iris threads as it's not my expertise but I have 2500K and that is good and that's Gen2 ? The 3770K I have isn't any quicker and can't overclock as much either. So I'm guessing the 4790 will be fine and the main benefits of the 6700 will be energy saving.

Running at the exact same clock speed the difference isn't huge: http://www.overclock.net/t/1578480/i5-2500k-4-5ghz-vs-6700k-4-5ghz-in-games
@fenderman knows more about this than me

I'm waiting for a bigger breakthrough in CPU tech before upgrading but if buying new then I'd get the 6700 no doubt in my mind.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Get the skylake...the intel hd is more powerful as well on the skylake....kaby lake will be out soon with even better graphics...you can play this game forever...youll never have a system if you keep over analyzing it. Dont get the T processor.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Useful site...too bad one of their benchmark tests is not actually running a stack of IP cameras.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/12019-Share-your-BlueIris-PC-specs

List of users her who have various numbers of cameras and their processors. Maybe you can find a user with something similar to get an idea.

Also, like all the others say, go with Skylake. Better to have more power now with less cameras, then to get to the 15-20 camera mark and be bogged down with issues. If that is def what amount of cameras you're gonna get to, just pull the trigger now on the Skylake and don't look back. You won't be disappointed.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Completely forgot about Intel HD graphics. Newer versions are much better than early Gen 2 models by quite a way.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input!
I bought a system with the i7-6700 as most all recommended.

I have not read of anyone using this particular computer model but for the refurb price of $640 no tax no shipping, it seems to have a lot and mostly good reviews.

HP Envy 750-247c

i7-6700
128GB SSD for the OS
Win 10 (Home)
2TB 7200 HDD (May get larger later...not going to keep weeks of recordings)
24GB DDR4 RAM
GeForce GTX 745 4GB Video Card (Can I use the card for a 1st or 2nd monitor and still utilize the HD graphics on the chip for BI?)
7in1 card reader
DVD RW drive
WiFi & BT4.0
Bunch of USB3.0 ports
Gig Ethernet

It is not a "Business" class model machine and only 90 day warranty but is ready to go out of the box as I need it.

We'll see how it does once I get some cameras in and up!

Now I just have to decide on what cameras and POE switch...