CPU running very high...input and suggestions

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

My CPU was running at a very high rate (80% - 95%> sometimes) After reading the Blue Iris documentation I decided to take the following steps to fix this issue.
1) Lowered the resolution to 1080P in the ReoLinks camera software application.
2) Lowered the Receive Buffer to 2 MB rather than 6 MB which it was set to.
3) Lowered the Max Rate to 12 - 15 Frames Per Second.
4) Unchecked the Pre-Trigger video buffer.
5) Downloaded and installed the XVID video format.

Since I took these steps my CPU has maintained a rate approximately between (30% - 40%), sometimes it may get to 45% - 55% while viewing previous recordings. Being new to the IP security camera world I would like to know if I did the appropriate things and get some input(Pro and Cons) on the steps I have taken. Any input and suggestions are always welcome.

Thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

My CPU was running at a very high rate (80% - 95%> sometimes) After reading the Blue Iris documentation I decided to take the following steps to fix this issue.
1) Lowered the resolution to 1080P in the ReoLinks camera software application.
2) Lowered the Receive Buffer to 2 MB rather than 6 MB which it was set to.
3) Lowered the Max Rate to 12 - 15 Frames Per Second.
4) Unchecked the Pre-Trigger video buffer.
5) Downloaded and installed the XVID video format.

Since I took these steps my CPU has maintained a rate approximately between (30% - 40%), sometimes it may get to 45% - 55% while viewing previous recordings. Being new to the IP security camera world I would like to know if I did the appropriate things and get some input(Pro and Cons) on the steps I have taken. Any input and suggestions are always welcome.

Thank you
No...first how many cameras and what is your CPU?
Leave the receive buffer a 6 or higher..wont change cpu
lowering the max rate in blue iris has no effect you must change the settings in the camera itself, the blue iris setting auto adjusts...
use BVR format and direct to disk recording - this will drop your cpu significantly...
avoid reolink cameras, the company lies and the cams have issues with blue iris when using direct to disk which is needed for efficient processing.

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman, Thanks for responding.
My CPU is an intel I5 and as of this moment I am running 5 cameras. At the most I cannot see me running anymore than 10 to 12. When you say BVR, you are referring to the .bvr format correct? I will change to direct to disk as directed, but just for my own FYI, how does that work and are there any negatives to it? Being more experienced in these matters, what cameras do you prefer or suggest?

Thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman, Thanks for responding.
My CPU is an intel I5 and as of this moment I am running 5 cameras. At the most I cannot see me running anymore than 10 to 12. When you say BVR, you are referring to the .bvr format correct? I will change to direct to disk as directed, but just for my own FYI, how does that work and are there any negatives to it? Being more experienced in these matters, what cameras do you prefer or suggest?

Thank you
intel i5 is a meaningless term..we need the exact model...the variation in performance between i5 models is significant..
Yes. .bvr format...the benefit is being able to review a file while its recording, low cpu....
direct to disk will not allow you to record any overlays including the blue iris timestamp....you simply use the cameras own timestamp like every NVR does.. The cpu reduction is dramatic...
if you have a second generation intel processor or higher that supports quicksync you can enable hardware acceleration in blue iris (dont use vpp) to further increase efficiency. Look at the dahua starlight series cameras...there are several threads on them with great detail

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400T CPU @ 2.20 Ghz. My PC is a new Lenovo with a 250 GIG C drive used as the main source for blue Iris and it also houses a 1 Terabyte D drive I use for backing up my files.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400T CPU @ 2.20 Ghz. My PC is a new Lenovo with a 250 GIG C drive used as the main source for blue Iris and it also houses a 1 Terabyte D drive I use for backing up my files.
That processor sits between an i3 and an i5 standard processor..its supports hardware acceleration, so make sure you enable it in blue iris then restart...your cpu usage should be under 20 percent when running your cams in 1080p

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Everything you suggested has been done. My CPU usage is now sitting around 26%. I can live with that. At least my PC doesn't sound like its ready to fly off the shelf and out the window now!

Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Should be lower...are you logging in remotely?

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes I am...I also thought that was making it a bit higher also. Hey! call me Hillary! I have my server sitting on a shelf in my washer dryer room.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I am...I also thought that was making it a bit higher also. Hey! call me Hillary! I have my server sitting on a shelf in my washer dryer room.
That would explain the high CPU usage log off from remote View then check via the blue iris app... If you minimize the display it will be even lower

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right now I only have it set up for remote access. My plan was to add the additional hardware to it for direct control at a later date. But again I'm sure your right, I probably will see an under 20% usage in CPU activity. The lower CPU activity the better I like it. It sounded like a plane taking off prior to the new configs.

Thanks Fenderman

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now I only have it set up for remote access. My plan was to add the additional hardware to it for direct control at a later date. But again I'm sure your right, I probably will see an under 20% usage in CPU activity. The lower CPU activity the better I like it. It sounded like a plane taking off prior to the new configs.

Thanks Fenderman
You can still text by simply logging off and looking at the blue iris mobile app.. it's loud because those little machines are not designed to run at Full Throttle....

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Fenderman,
Sorry I had to break the conversation abruptly yesterday but needed to be somewhere. Logged off remote and checked the status of the CPU using the mobile app like you said and it is still idling around 25 to 27 percent. Any other suggestions?

P

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Fenderman,
Sorry I had to break the conversation abruptly yesterday but needed to be somewhere. Logged off remote and checked the status of the CPU using the mobile app like you said and it is still idling around 25 to 27 percent. Any other suggestions?

P
did you leave the console open so the cams are still displaying or did you minimize?
You can also set the live view frame rates to 5 which will not affect recording...

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Captain!

It's official! My CPU has now hit 19% usage with occasional spikes up to 23 to 25 percent. Hows that?

Thanks Fenderman