CPU or GPU for CPAI?

nickjohn35

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am about to implement CPAI on my HP Elitedesk that has a i5 8500 with 1TB M.2 SSD, 4TB WD Purple HD on Windows 11. I tried CPAI the other night running on my CPU and when CPAI kicked in my CPU was running at 98/99% and sounded like a spaceship about to launch. Are there different setting I should adjust to lower my CPU usage or get an upgraded GPU such as a GTX 1650? Essentially the only camera that will have CPAI will be my Reolink POE doorbell. My 4 other cameras are Dahua and I will use the camera AI.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you turn off models you don't use or need.

Which models do you have running?

How many cameras were you trying?

nickjohn35

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Make sure you turn off models you don't use or need.

Which models do you have running?

How many cameras were you trying?
When I ran it the other night I only turned off face recognition.

Just my Reolink POE doorbell

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then you have something set up wrong as even a 4th generation CPU can run several cameras of CPAI on CPU only.

Post screenshots of your CPAI dashboard and camera AI settings from BI

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In Blue Iris Uncheck the box that forces the main stream for CPAI... Make sure you have the medium model selectee nothing higher... Make sure you're using YOLO V5.net and for even better performance use the IPCAM general model..
Enable GPU

nickjohn35

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In Blue Iris Uncheck the box that forces the main stream for CPAI... Make sure you have the medium model selectee nothing higher... Make sure you're using YOLO V5.net and for even better performance use the IPCAM general model..
Enable GPU
Ok cool. I’ll try this in a bit and see what happens.

nickjohn35

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Reinstalled CPAI and here's what I'm finding...

Blue Iris is super sluggish. When I go to my camera settings it locks up BI. I unchecked the main stream for CPAI, medium model is selected and GPU is enabled. Picked out a old clip and looked at testing and tuning and analyzed with AI. AI worked and my CPU jumped to 98%. Looked at the CPAI server and it had me running the YOLOv5 6.2. Stopped it and ran YOLO V5.net and AI won't pick up anything.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Uncheck the auto start/stop - it is done automatically and having this checked can cause problems.

The screenshot shows the .net is stopped.

Since you left the custom models blank, it is running all of them. If you are not going to use some, delete them or do something like (name of model):0 so that it doesn't run that model.

After you switch modules, it takes a bit the first time before they are running as well.

nickjohn35

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Uncheck the auto start/stop - it is done automatically and having this checked can cause problems.

The screenshot shows the .net is stopped.

Since you left the custom models blank, it is running all of them. If you are not going to use some, delete them or do something like (name of model):0 so that it doesn't run that model.

After you switch modules, it takes a bit the first time before they are running as well.
-Unchecked auto start/stop
-.net isn’t working for me so I stopped wand went back to the other module.
-I left custom models blank because I have no clue what to put there....

Last edited:

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unchecked auto start/stop
Restarted .net
I left custom models blank because I have no clue what to put there....
It looks like the Object Detection (YOLOv5 .NET) module did not install correctly. Try uninstalling the Object Detection (YOLOv5 .NET) module then reinstall it. After it is fully installed and running restart Blue Iris service this will load the custom model list.

nickjohn35

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It looks like the Object Detection (YOLOv5 .NET) module did not install correctly. Try uninstalling the Object Detection (YOLOv5 .NET) module then reinstall it. After it is fully installed and running restart Blue Iris service this will load the custom model list.
Just did as you said... twice... still not working.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just did as you said... twice... still not working.
The version you have is several version old and had some issues installing the Object Detection (YOLOv5 .NET) module. Most likely v2.5.1-RC1 for Windows will be released tomorrow. So for now use the Object Detection (YOLOv5 6.2) module and when v2.5.1-RC1 for Windows is released install this version.

nickjohn35

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The version you have is several version old and had some issues installing the Object Detection (YOLOv5 .NET) module. Most likely v2.5.1-RC1 for Windows will be released tomorrow. So for now use the Object Detection (YOLOv5 6.2) module and when v2.5.1-RC1 for Windows is released install this version.
Ok, where can I check to see when available download? I see some people are on v2.5-RC8 and I’m on 2.3.4-beta.

nickjohn35

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Downloaded and attempted to install v2.5.1-RC1 and got terminated by Kaspersky.... cause for concern?Screenshot 2024-01-22 210118.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Downloaded and attempted to install v2.5.1-RC1 and got terminated by Kaspersky.... cause for concern?View attachment 183745
No concern.

It is how the "unknown Publisher" or "potential virus" or "compromised" messages are generated (just called virus moving forward in the rest of this post for simplicity).

It is not a virus, rather it is whatever antivirus you are using has flagged it as a potential virus. Some programs look at the total number of users and below a certain number, it is flagged. These specialty type files/programs get false positives all the time.

You can check the file with VirusTotal , an antivirus website owned by Google that runs it thru a lot of different antivirus algorithms.

CodeProject is open source, so viruses would be found pretty quickly.

nickjohn35

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That’s what I kinda figured but wanted to be sure before I made changes to allow it.