CPU increase when HW acceleration ON?

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've encountered a strange increase in CPU consumption recently and hoping someone can help. I've been on BI since version 3 and this is the first time I've seen something like this.

Windows 10 on my BI server recently auto updated (build 1803 cumulative updates). After reboot, I noted the CPU usage had spiked to 90% and figured it was most likely caused by Intel driver updates. Prior to this, the machine was idling around 40%
  • I made sure the driver is using a known working version (Intel Graphics Driver 15.40.42.5063). However, even after driver update, CPU is still idling around 90%
  • After some investigation, I noted I could get CPU back to manageable levels by disabling one specific camera
Finally, I found leaving the old HW acceleration setting to "Intel" on the problematic camera would cause the increased CPU consumption. If I leave the HW acceleration to "Default" everything returns to manageable levels, which is the opposite of my expected behavior.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Has anyone encountered similar problems?

Thanks!

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why not update to 1809 or 1903 build? I noticed with recent windows update I had an increase of CPU usage on daily computer. NO issues on my 1903 windows build BI server though.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good question. I've tried to update this machine in the past, but the 1903 build keeps being rejected for some reason.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good question. I've tried to update this machine in the past, but the 1903 build keeps being rejected for some reason.
I don't know I feel windows updates always gives issues with BI and in general. My other PC after update has an increase of CPU usage in general unfortunately.