CPU 100%

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you have excluded BI from Windows Defender or any other Anti Virus you may be running. See the help file on this.
Also, this: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

All significant addition's & improvements made to the software are outlined in the update section of the Blue Iris help file.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Question is, when I scrub through recordings I'm now seeing the sub stream view, does that mean its recording twice?
Yes, when you record to BVR format (which you definitely should be doing) then Blue Iris records the main and sub streams together into the same file. The sub stream is used when it is appropriate, such as when scrubbing through the timeline, otherwise that would cause HUGE spikes in CPU usage to play multiple main streams. The main stream is still there for when you maximize a single camera.

You can actually turn off the recording of the sub stream somewhere in each camera properties panel, but that is not advisable if you use the timeline for multi-camera playback. Like you noticed, the sub stream is normally quite small compared to the main stream so it doesn't waste a lot of space. You can even reduce the bit rate of the sub stream via the camera's web interface if you want.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI... dropped CPU to around 13% from 40% by lowering FPS to 15 from 30 and utilizing sub streams.
Only slight pain was resetting motion zones, but not too big of a deal! Thank you everyone for your input.

side note, I noticed two of my cams purchased from Andy are PAL (I live in the US)... does that matter in any way?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
That's awesome, I have a feeling you can go even lower though. I have more cameras than you, and while my CPU is newer, I don't think its THAT more powerful

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
PAL or NTSC doesn't matter at all. The camera signal is actually digital. NTSC will, generally, provide higher frame rates but in surveillance applications that's not at all important.

JDfromDB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow - great tip about the sub streams. It dropped CPU usage to about 1/8 of what it was.
What I don't understand is why it makes a difference if I have motion detection disabled in BI for all cameras.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's awesome, I have a feeling you can go even lower though. I have more cameras than you, and while my CPU is newer, I don't think its THAT more powerful
PAL or NTSC doesn't matter at all. The camera signal is actually digital. NTSC will, generally, provide higher frame rates but in surveillance applications that's not at all important.
Clear on the PAL and NTSC. I was thinking I could probably get the CPU rate lower but I’m not sure what else I could change.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@JDfromDB Motion detection requires analysis of the video stream. That's done by the CPU. Shut off motion detection and there's nothing to analyze. A;; that happens then is the video stream is sent directly to the hard drive assuming you're running direct to disk and not re-encoding.

JDfromDB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@JDfromDB Motion detection requires analysis of the video stream. That's done by the CPU. Shut off motion detection and there's nothing to analyze. A;; that happens then is the video stream is sent directly to the hard drive assuming you're running direct to disk and not re-encoding.
I have motion detection disabled and I have screen overlays disabled and I am using direct to disk recording so I would assume it would not require decoding the stream. There must be something else going on that requires decoding.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The program is still running, assuming you're either looking at the console or have it configured to run as a service. That takes CPU, too. Not much, but some.

JDfromDB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will play around with the settings more to see if there is something I missed, but so far I am unable to get BI to not decode the stream at all. The way I test this is to add/remove support for the sub stream. Without sub stream support I am at 18-20% CPU load, with sub stream support I am at 2-4% CPU load so this tells me it is decoding.
BI running as service, no motion detection, no screen overlays.,

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've never shut off motion detection to test that out and likely won't since between physical and clones it's over 20 now. I do suspect BI has to use some CPU just to watch the database and other mundane things it needs to do to stay operable.