Covert POE cameras?

Reaction score
I am currently wiring up cat6 around my house, and have purchased a POE switch. I am thinking about the placement of interior POE cams at the moment. It would seem to me that it would be smarter to have the cameras hidden in the house so burglers or whoever could not target them. The trouble is, I am having a really difficult time finding anything covert and POE. I get that it would be hard to have something not seem "out of place" and have a ethernet cable running to it, but since I am running the cable myself I can put the jacks anywhere I want. Are there any suggested cameras, designs, or ways to hide cameras? I am completely lost at the moment for this. I don't really want to go with the stupid out in the open arlos or nest cams.

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Custom anything can have a camera.

In the living room you could do a custom bookshelf with a pinhole IP camera.

I know that there are some covert cameras available, but IIRC, they're low resolution cameras. I'll see if I can dig up some info as an example.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

Reaction score
Custom anything can have a camera.

In the living room you could do a custom bookshelf with a pinhole IP camera.

I know that there are some covert cameras available, but IIRC, they're low resolution cameras. I'll see if I can dig up some info as an example.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.
That is kind of what I was thinking. That I would have to do custom work with pinhole cameras. But I don't really trust the quality of them. Is there any sub $150 indoor cameras that seem to be recommended on here a lot? Looking for good low light/night vision, clear in light, and POE. PTZ not required, but could be nice. Audio would also be nice, but I don't really want to run anything more than the cat6 I am currently planning. I will probably be using these with shinobi running in docker on an unraid server.

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
But I don't really trust the quality of them. Is there any sub $150 indoor cameras that seem to be recommended on here a lot? Looking for good low light/night vision, clear in light, and POE.
Many manufacturers offer a pinhole camera camera line. first brands that pop into mind would be Hikvision, Axis, and Geovision. I haven't used any of them (it's not every day that you need a pinhole camera).

As for audio, you can get microphones that will connect with category cable. I haven't used any of these either.

It is advised to run 2 cables (or more if you'd like) to each camera location. The second cable may never be used, but it will be there incase one cable gets damaged, or if you'd like to add anything (such as a microphone or an additional camera).

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
People have placed a camera in a birdhouse, in a light, anything you can imagine.
Both those have been standard turret style (for example) which are huge for indoors.

Dahua and Hikvision have small cameras like these:

These covert systems have a main unit close by to the camera module.

Anything you can image; stick the small camera module in it.
Look around at news articles for hidden cameras in accommodation units; those are sneaky.

I would suggest having the cameras in non-movable items so no ones disrupts the cable.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just sit a camera directly on a bookshelf or perched on top of a cabinet. If its black, no one should notice. Also "hiding cameras" inside is downright creepy. Imho, if I have burglars inside my house, them seeing the camera is the least of my (or their) worries.

Reaction score
I just sit a camera directly on a bookshelf or perched on top of a cabinet. If its black, no one should notice. Also "hiding cameras" inside is downright creepy. Imho, if I have burglars inside my house, them seeing the camera is the least of my (or their) worries.
Any suggestions on which cameras to get? Would lie something not too big and obvious,but good image day and night. Audio would be a plus, but not required.

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would not be too concerned about hiding your indoor cameras.
Placement is key though.
As has been said, on top of a bookshelf or even attached to a ceiling in the corner of a room and it is most likely that anyone entering the room will either not notice them OR it will be very inconvenient to get to the cameras.
But...maybe something that looks like a motion sensor (and is) which has a camera built into it (i have not used this one so it really is a blind reccomendation): Again, I have not used this one, but for a pinhole camera, something like this one: There are also some cameras that look like a smoke detector which might fit your need.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I would not be too concerned about hiding your indoor cameras.
Placement is key though.
As has been said, on top of a bookshelf or even attached to a ceiling in the corner of a room and it is most likely that anyone entering the room will either not notice them OR it will be very inconvenient to get to the cameras.
But...maybe something that looks like a motion sensor (and is) which has a camera built into it (i have not used this one so it really is a blind reccomendation): Again, I have not used this one, but for a pinhole camera, something like this one: There are also some cameras that look like a smoke detector which might fit your need.
What about for regular cameras that you would just put on bookshelves or in the corner by the ceiling?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have 7 inside cameras in plan sight. I do not care about the cameras, Please look straight then so I get a good picture. Most of the cameras have another camera in there view so if you break it i have a video of you doing it.

I look at cameras as a disposable item. I expect cameras to have a useful life of 3 to 4 years before technology pass them by.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any suggestions on which cameras to get? Would lie something not too big and obvious,but good image day and night. Audio would be a plus, but not required.

Amcrest ProHD 1080P WiFi Camera 2MP (1920TVL) Indoor Pan/Tilt Security Wireless IP Camera IP2M-841B

also available in white.