Couple of questions on choice of recording hardware

CitznFish

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post here. Thank you all for providing so much information on this topic. I have read the Cliff Notes and feel pretty comfortable with what I need to do for a successful installation. I will be using 8 turret cameras (2mp starlight, which seems to be a forum favorite) and a doorbell camera.

My question is about how I want to record and store the equipment. I haven't seen much info on this. I have 2 options that I am looking at and I am looking for advice on which would work the best. Note that I would prefer option 1 because I already have too many PC's around the house ;)

I would like to run all the POE Cat6e wires into my small communications panel and use the NVR4108-8P-4KS2 for recording and POE power. The unit would fit but I have a couple of concerns:

1. Is OK to stand it on edge? I will have a bracket for it to sit on.
  2. I am not sure how much heat this thing generates so that is also a concern.

Option 2 seems easy enough as well, but that is my backup plan, unless there seems to be an issue with the way I am planning on setting it up.

Would love some advice from the experts here. :)

Communications panel: ( had to make a second post because the forum software kept saying my image had spam like properties.. )

Thank you,
CF

Last edited:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think you'd really love having Blue Iris as your NVR. I know that means having yet another PC, but it's really excellent. And I'm a big fan (pardon the pun) of good cooling and airflow around any electronics. Heat is the mortal enemy of most electronic components.

Electrolytic caps HATE heat, and die much faster at higher temperatures. And most semiconductors' "wear-out" mechanisms double for every 10° C of temperature increase. Even if it means setting up a rack or other "furniture", I'd try to spread things out a bit. That comm box looks pretty packed!

Also, if you want any WiFi, having your router inside of a metal box will certainly reduce or kill the RF path from it to everywhere else in your house. So the router might be better placed to have a good "view" of most of your house.

CitznFish

n3wb
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think you'd really love having Blue Iris as your NVR. I know that means having yet another PC, but it's really excellent. And I'm a big fan (pardon the pun) of good cooling and airflow around any electronics. Heat is the mortal enemy of most electronic components.

Electrolytic caps HATE heat, and die much faster at higher temperatures. And most semiconductors' "wear-out" mechanisms double for every 10° C of temperature increase. Even if it means setting up a rack or other "furniture", I'd try to spread things out a bit. That comm box looks pretty packed!

Also, if you want any WiFi, having your router inside of a metal box will certainly reduce or kill the RF path from it to everywhere else in your house. So the router might be better placed to have a good "view" of most of your house.
Thanks for the info :) I was afraid of the heat issue . Honestly, right now, that comm box doesn't even get warm.

The router is used just as a router. I have Google WiFi throughout the house.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
If there's no cover on that comm box, it probably stays plenty cool. But I do know that some NVRs get quite hot and have fans in them. I've read some complaints about how noisy the fans are, actually. But better a screaming fan than roasting electronics! :)

I do like dedicating a PC to this job, and running Blue Iris. It's easy to work with, has an incredible array of features, and if you get a PC in a reasonably large case, you'll have room to add more drives, etc., to expand the system as you wish later. I haven't tried a bunch of different NVRs, but I prefer Blue Iris over the couple I've played with in the past. I'm sure there are far better NVRs than what I've had experience with. But it's hard for me to imagine any NVR being as flexible and well thought-out as BI. And they're always adding new features.