Costco Lorex System Adding Non Lorex Cameras?

joogle

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi - I am in the works of starting a home camera installation where I will use a contractor to run Cat 6 cables. I bought Lorex YN843A82-8AB6-E from Costco and it comes with 6 cameras. The NVR allows 8 cameras and today i did a quick power/video test before installation but then ran into a lot of threads here in this community which is now making me feel that I may need better cameras or supplement the existing purchase with some more.

The home is on a cul-de-sac and I have 6 cameras planned for perimeter but can see the need for more more especially the area facing the cul-de-sac. At my entrance at one of the corner walls I was thinking a camera facing the cul-de-sac would be good. The location on the wall is probably 25-30 ft to the edge of street. If we take in the start of the cul-de-sac it would be 15-20 ft more. The house is right in the center of the cul-de-sac basically.

My questions are:

1) Can I add non-Lorex cameras to the Lorex DVR? If so, will they work with the apps?
2) If non-Lorex cameras will not work then what camera and NVR should I get? My plan was still keep the Lorex but add another NVR system for non-Lorex ones. I saw this Youtube video that is recent and they had these recommendations.

Best Performer: Axis P3248-LVE $1100
Best Affordable Overall: Empire Tech T5842 $237
Best Overall Value: Reolink RLC-811A $110

As much as I'm tempted by the Axis model, I feel Empire Tech should be sufficient and if I'm not mistaken I've seen Andy be referenced on these forums who i think is affiliated with Empire Tech if not the owner himself. What would be the recommendation on NVR? Having app type features would be great especially for home automation panels where I plan on using an iPad installed on the wall to be able to view the cameras from certain rooms.

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY cameras are Dahua OEM and work well with the Lorex system as Lorex is a Dahua OEM as well (albeit stripped down versions of Dahua cams and the cameras Andy sells). Axis or other brands could be problematic as it is best to match brands of NVR and cameras. Forget about the Reolink - total trash and won't work with the NVR.

Many people here use Andy's cameras with a Lorex or Amcrest system without a problem since they are all Dahua. They work just fine with the Lorex app or Amcrest NVR app.

Keep in mind the Lorex all in a box kit is a very stripped down version with less than ideal MP/sensor ratios among other things, like bandwidth limited NVR and lesser quality. It is built cheap to sell cheap.

When we had a thief come thru here and get into a lot of cars, the police couldn't use one video or photo from anyone's system but mine. Not even my other neighbors Costco Lorex $1,300 8MP system provided useful info - the cams just didn't cut it at night.

His system wasn't even a year old and after that event has started replacing with cameras purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY here based on my recommendation and seeing my results. Andy's cameras were literally plug-n-play with the Lorex NVR. By the time we got inside, the cameras were already showing on his monitor. He is still shocked a 2MP camera performs better than his 4k cameras and he cannot figure out why- it is because his 8MP Lorex system was on the same size sensor as the 2MP so his cameras need over 4 times the light. Sensor size and optical zoom is more important than MP.

See this thread I put together demonstrating the value of focal length over MP, complete with camera recommendations based on distance to an object with which you would want to IDENTIFY (and all the cameras should work with the Lorex NVR).

Last edited:

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought into Lorex last year before I found this forum. I'll ask questions, and you can answer/make up your own mind. I am in the middle of replacing all my Lorex cameras with Dahua from Andy.
Costs quite a bit more, but in the end I wanted to not only see what's going on in the neighborhood, I wanted to be able to identify.
Are you looking just to see what's going on in the neighborhood or are you wanting to identify any person, car, etc... ?

If all you're looking is to see what's going on, then that Lorex kit will do fine. if you want to identify, then I would return that to Costco and get a NVR (Or perhaps BI?), plus cameras from Andy.
The good folks will give you all the help you need if you would like. Camera placement, number of cameras, etc...

joogle

n3wb
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY cameras are Dahua OEM and work well with the Lorex system as Lorex is a Dahua OEM as well (albeit stripped down versions of Dahua cams and the cameras Andy sells). Axis or other brands could be problematic as it is best to match brands of NVR and cameras. Forget about the Reolink - total trash and won't work with the NVR.

Many people here use Andy's cameras with a Lorex or Amcrest system without a problem since they are all Dahua. They work just fine with the Lorex app or Amcrest NVR app.

Keep in mind the Lorex all in a box kit is a very stripped down version with less than ideal MP/sensor ratios among other things, like bandwidth limited NVR and lesser quality. It is built cheap to sell cheap.

When we had a thief come thru here and get into a lot of cars, the police couldn't use one video or photo from anyone's system but mine. Not even my other neighbors Costco Lorex $1,300 8MP system provided useful info - the cams just didn't cut it at night.

His system wasn't even a year old and after that event has started replacing with cameras purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY here based on my recommendation and seeing my results. Andy's cameras were literally plug-n-play with the Lorex NVR. By the time we got inside, the cameras were already showing on his monitor. He is still shocked a 2MP camera performs better than his 4k cameras and he cannot figure out why- it is because his 8MP Lorex system was on the same size sensor as the 2MP so his cameras need over 4 times the light. Sensor size and optical zoom is more important than MP.

See this thread I put together demonstrating the value of focal length over MP, complete with camera recommendations based on distance to an object with which you would want to IDENTIFY (and all the cameras should work with the Lorex NVR).

Thank you - your thread was very helpful. I am going to have to give the placement of the cameras some serious thought in order to see what models would work. I think the front of the house would need most coverage with being able to identify. The side of the house and back are all fenced . What NVR are you using by the way?

joogle

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought into Lorex last year before I found this forum. I'll ask questions, and you can answer/make up your own mind. I am in the middle of replacing all my Lorex cameras with Dahua from Andy.
Costs quite a bit more, but in the end I wanted to not only see what's going on in the neighborhood, I wanted to be able to identify.
Are you looking just to see what's going on in the neighborhood or are you wanting to identify any person, car, etc... ?

If all you're looking is to see what's going on, then that Lorex kit will do fine. if you want to identify, then I would return that to Costco and get a NVR (Or perhaps BI?), plus cameras from Andy.
The good folks will give you all the help you need if you would like. Camera placement, number of cameras, etc...
I am looking to identify especially at the front of the house. What NVR are you using? I had to google this but realized BI is Blue Iris - which i suspect I will have to run on a Windows Machine 24/7, I do have a Synology which I suspect can run it as well. My concern is the ability to login from a mobile device or tablet to see cameras plus notifications. I guess BI works in similar fashion where you install the tablet app and then setup the cameras by IP - so with BI the cameras plug straight into the POE switch instead of NVR? I did buy a Aruba S2500 switch 48 port -- so it could work but if there is a solid NVR I may prefer that option if its more plug play. Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I "graduated" to Blue Iris and computer combo LOL, but I still run my Dahua OEM NVR until it dies.

Many of us buy refurbished computers that are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so. A real NVR will cost more than that.

A member here a couple months ago found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive. You won't find a capable NVR cheaper than that...

Blue Iris has a demo, so try it out on an existing computer and see if you like it.

There is a big Blue Iris or NVR debate here LOL. Some people love Blue Iris and think NVRs are clunky and hard to use and others think Blue Iris is clunky and hard to use. I have done both and prefer Blue Iris. As with everything YMMV... @DanDenver is another BI converter that shares his NVR story in this thread. His story is pretty typical of us that have migrated to BI.

And you can disable Windows updates and set up the computer to automatically restart in a power failure, and then you have a more powerful NVR with a nice mobile viewing interface.

Blue Iris is great and works with probably more camera brands than most VMS programs, but there are brands that don't work well or not at all - Rings, Arlos, Nest, Some Zmodo cams use proprietary systems and cannot be used with Blue Iris, and for a lot of people Reolink doesn't work well either. But we would recommend staying away from those brands even if you go the NVR route with one of those brands...

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I purchased the Dahua 5216 4ks2e from Andy. Pretty much just plug and play, with obviously needing to fine tune cameras, and other settings.
I use the Dahua app, DMSS, via wireguard.

I might mess around with BI in the future, but I'm pretty much satisfied with my set up right now.
Now if you're thinking about capturing license plates down the road, then my opinion on the NVR might change a bit.

joogle

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased the Dahua 5216 4ks2e from Andy. Pretty much just plug and play, with obviously needing to fine tune cameras, and other settings.
I use the Dahua app, DMSS, via wireguard.

I might mess around with BI in the future, but I'm pretty much satisfied with my set up right now.
Now if you're thinking about capturing license plates down the road, then my opinion on the NVR might change a bit.
Can I ask why your opinion would change on the license plate?

I was thinking of getting one of IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E and IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED S2 possibly to plug in the Lorex DVR. Otherwise if I need more was going to see if just getting an independent NVR (Dahura or other brand) or possibly Blue Iris with picking choosing cameras is best option. What I seem to like about Lorex is I think its fairly quick setup with a good app it seems, plus the camera kit i linked above i think has audio plus spotlight features. I am not sure how the other apps and if Blue Iris app is comparable.

joogle

n3wb
Reaction score
I "graduated" to Blue Iris and computer combo LOL, but I still run my Dahua OEM NVR until it dies.

Many of us buy refurbished computers that are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so. A real NVR will cost more than that.

A member here a couple months ago found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive. You won't find a capable NVR cheaper than that...

Blue Iris has a demo, so try it out on an existing computer and see if you like it.

There is a big Blue Iris or NVR debate here LOL. Some people love Blue Iris and think NVRs are clunky and hard to use and others think Blue Iris is clunky and hard to use. I have done both and prefer Blue Iris. As with everything YMMV... @DanDenver is another BI converter that shares his NVR story in this thread. His story is pretty typical of us that have migrated to BI.

And you can disable Windows updates and set up the computer to automatically restart in a power failure, and then you have a more powerful NVR with a nice mobile viewing interface.

Blue Iris is great and works with probably more camera brands than most VMS programs, but there are brands that don't work well or not at all - Rings, Arlos, Nest, Some Zmodo cams use proprietary systems and cannot be used with Blue Iris, and for a lot of people Reolink doesn't work well either. But we would recommend staying away from those brands even if you go the NVR route with one of those brands...
Thanks for the info, I have a spare computer and pretty comfortable in working with PCs. What is the app experience like for Blue Iris?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Blue Iris has an app that allows push notifications to your phone which work quite fast, within a few seconds normally. That, of course, can vary depending on your cell network and provider.

I have the app and use it sometimes but normally I use the built-in web interface called UI3. It's faster and easier to check alerts with IMHO.

Any outside access should happen through a VPN rather than opening ports like the typical app packaged with a "system" does. Hackers love those apps just for that reason.. They're really not interested in your video, usually, but want to use your devices in bot attacks. Of course, since they're already inside your network, they can also steal as much data as they might want to as well.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I too started with the ole costco system. After we had an event happen in low light and really couldn't tell what happened with the motion, I ended up upgrading to a combination of Hikvision and Dahua cameras with Blue Iris. It took a little bit of effort to set up, but overall it's been worth the effort.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I was thinking of getting one of IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E and IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED S2 possibly to plug in the Lorex DVR. Otherwise if I need more was going to see if just getting an independent NVR (Dahura or other brand) or possibly Blue Iris with picking choosing cameras is best option. What I seem to like about Lorex is I think its fairly quick setup with a good app it seems, plus the camera kit i linked above i think has audio plus spotlight features. I am not sure how the other apps and if Blue Iris app is comparable.
The neighbor I mentioned with the Lorex NVR added the Z12E for plate reading just fine.

I think @Timokreon meant if you wanted the system to actually read and log the plates then that NVR wouldn't do it.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Yes, @wittaj is correct. The 5216 4ks2e doesn't read and log the plates. That's one thing I would like, and if I did things over I would have gotten the Dahua NVR5216-16p-I/L.
However, with that said, I can manually check license plates with the Z12E, and if need be use a web site like "Plate Recognizer".

If you're comfortable with computers, have a spare around that's capable of running BI, then I would most likely go that direction. I've used the trial version of BI, and liked what I saw, but I just haven't gotten around to getting an old computer up and running, or finding a used one to get things going.

The Dahua app DMSS, is very simple to get running, etc... I use wireguard as my VPN. I turn on the wireguard app on my phone, then tap on DMSS and there are my cameras.

joogle

n3wb
Reaction score
The neighbor I mentioned with the Lorex NVR added the Z12E for plate reading just fine.

I think @Timokreon meant if you wanted the system to actually read and log the plates then that NVR wouldn't do it.

Thank you

actually I’m getting a bit overwhelmed with the model numbers and options

The thought process is I keep Lorex which has 8 channels for like pool area, sides of houses with shorter distances - so I get 6 cameras with the system. Again the system I’m thinking comes with decent to good app from what I hear and so am thinking it would be a good system.
but then add two one for wider coverage of front of house with the wall facing cul-de-sac and then one basically in the front door region

another option is go blue iris route and just plug all cameras in to my POE switch. I just don’t know how the app experience on mobile and tablets is.

with newer models and sales, trying to decide on best models. These are the three models I had put down on a list

IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED S2
IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2

Dahua HFW7842H-Z

Dahua Color 4k-X — just saw this today so got thrown off that maybe there are newer models out.

my home remodel will take 2-3 months but I’m thinking if prime day sale from Andy if I should just get the models down and pick them up.

thanks!!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The LED models are considered "full color" and do not see infrared and need light, so if you do not have enough ambient light, you are better to go with cameras with infrared capabilities. The white LED on the cameras (except for the Color 4K/X) are more gimmicky and not much brighter than a cellphone light. Once you dial in off of auto settings, the viewing is confined to a tight area.

With the exception of the Z12E and the 7842H-Z, the cameras you have referenced are fixed lens wide angle cameras like the Lorex cams you are looking at. Now granted these will blow the Lorex away because they are on better MP/sensor ratios.

Since you said you have a computer laying around, give BI a try. I like many have had NVRs in the past and once I tried BI, I regretted that I didn't go to it sooner Even running simultaneous BI and NVR I NEVER use the NVR app anymore. BI is just way too friendly and user friendly. YMMV.

joogle

n3wb
Reaction score
The LED models are considered "full color" and do not see infrared and need light, so if you do not have enough ambient light, you are better to go with cameras with infrared capabilities. The white LED on the cameras (except for the Color 4K/X) are more gimmicky and not much brighter than a cellphone light. Once you dial in off of auto settings, the viewing is confined to a tight area.

With the exception of the Z12E and the 7842H-Z, the cameras you have referenced are fixed lens wide angle cameras like the Lorex cams you are looking at. Now granted these will blow the Lorex away because they are on better MP/sensor ratios.

Since you said you have a computer laying around, give BI a try. I like many have had NVRs in the past and once I tried BI, I regretted that I didn't go to it sooner Even running simultaneous BI and NVR I NEVER use the NVR app anymore. BI is just way too friendly and user friendly. YMMV.

Thank you - if you were to put cameras around as of today on a home remodel what setup would you recommend and which model cameras?

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wittaj, and everyone else, would probably need more information about your home. Distances, angles, etc... if you had any pictures, or an overview of the home/property that would work as well. Mindful to block out anything for privacy.

If I were starting over from scratch, I personally would purchase a vari-focal, like the 5442 or 5842 and have a temporary cat6 that I could move to various locations to see what things looked like through the camera.
I try to imagine what a view will look like in my mind, but then after putting the camera up things look a lot different.

Or, you could take your camera/phone, and take pictures from various locations you think would be a good spot for a camera, and see what things look like.

My favorites in cameras so far are the vari-focals, IPC-T5842T-ZE, IPC-T5442T-ZE, along with the 4k color cam and the SD49425XB-HNR PTZ. BTW, if you're looking for a PTZ, you might grab 1 (or more) of that PTZ before they're gone. This model still has auto-track if you purchase through Andy.

joogle

n3wb
Reaction score
Wittaj, and everyone else, would probably need more information about your home. Distances, angles, etc... if you had any pictures, or an overview of the home/property that would work as well. Mindful to block out anything for privacy.

If I were starting over from scratch, I personally would purchase a vari-focal, like the 5442 or 5842 and have a temporary cat6 that I could move to various locations to see what things looked like through the camera.
I try to imagine what a view will look like in my mind, but then after putting the camera up things look a lot different.

Or, you could take your camera/phone, and take pictures from various locations you think would be a good spot for a camera, and see what things look like.

My favorites in cameras so far are the vari-focals, IPC-T5842T-ZE, IPC-T5442T-ZE, along with the 4k color cam and the SD49425XB-HNR PTZ. BTW, if you're looking for a PTZ, you might grab 1 (or more) of that PTZ before they're gone. This model still has auto-track if you purchase through Andy.
Thank you - I was thinking of posting picture of my house but for privacy was trying to see if it can just outline the model of the front to show how it looks. Basically im a close to center house on a cul-de-sac with 3000 sq ft of living space. The property in itself is on 0.4 acres. There is a pool area that is covered but I am doing a home extension - my main focus is the front. I have a garage port as well. Right now I bought a refurb IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED S1 and have a Costco Lorex system. Nothing is installed yet but tested out Lorex cameras. The plan is to install these in about 2 months.