Cores vs Threads vs base Freq?

newcomer9087

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm currently planning on a new PC build for my camera system and want to know the hierarchy of the following processor aspects (cores, threads, base frequency) for performance in a surveillance system (especially with 4k cams).
Considering the following Intel cpu's:
1- Intel core i9-9900KS (8 cores, 16 threads, 4GHz base freq.)
2- Intel core i9-10900 (10 cores, 20 threads, 2.80GHz base freq.)
3- Intel core i9-10900HK (8 cores, 16 threads, 2.40GHz base freq.)

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is a rundown of the 10th-gen model's behavior: Intel Core i9-10900K Review: Ten Cores, 5.3 GHz, and Excessive Power Draw Between the i9-9900KS with 8 cores at a maximum 5GHz, versus the i9-10900 with 10 cores at a maximum of 4.6GHz (cooling permitting), the math favors the 10900 for a workload that can use lots of cores in parallel.

I know even with my vanilla i9-9900K (non-S) the CPU temperatures got me a bit concerned despite a substantial 120mm cooler. I set my motherboard to run the CPU fan at full speed instead of trying for a quiet speed. Under full load, CPU core temperature still passes the 70C point. So if this were a 10th-gen model, it would fall short of the cooling needed to reach its absolute redline.

1593398834762.png

newcomer9087

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great info, i think i'm sticking with the 9900K for now. the trade off between extra cores vs power consumption for a negligible difference is a major drawback!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
calculate your estimates MP/SEC. look at other systems. This will give you a ballpark idea of the cpu requirements. But there is no tell how well the systems in the list are tuned. there are i9-9900k in the list but no i9-9900ks in the leist.

shalem2014

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also take a look at this page. It gives a benchmark score for a wide range of CPUs that will at least help you visualize you "bang for the buck". You can use [Ctrl] + [F] to assist finding where certain CPUs fall on the list.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
performance in a surveillance system (especially with 4k cams).
If you're considering Blue Iris and haven't seen it already, it's got a newish feature that utilizes cameras lower-resolution sub-streams for motion detection while recording the main stream (full resolution) directly to disk. From the threads I've seen, it looks to significantly lower processor usage for bigger streams (ie 4k cameras).

Last edited:

newcomer9087

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
calculate your estimates MP/SEC. look at other systems. This will give you a ballpark idea of the cpu requirements. But there is no tell how well the systems in the list are tuned. there are i9-9900k in the list but no i9-9900ks in the leist.

I've got around 1800 MP/s. Running cpu and ddr4 with XMP

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got around 1800 MP/s. Running cpu and ddr4 with XMP
That's similar to my system. If BI monitors all the primary streams, my i9's CPU load is getting into the 40-45% range when the system is transferring video clips from the New storage (SSD) to the mechanical longer-term drives. Playback can easily send the system to redline if I'm playing back a group of cams. And that is with the assistance of a GTX1660 as well as the Intel GPU.

If I set BI to monitor secondary streams, and just record primary streams direct to disk, CPU load drops radically. The shortcoming is that BI's still photos come from the secondary streams, so if I'm flipping through still shots for interesting ones (which I do a lot of), I'm looking at small, low-quality photos. I debated which is worse (small junky photos or high CPU usage) and decided to stick with primary streams for now. I might offload some of the cams to a second BI system with an older Core i7.

newcomer9087

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's similar to my system. If BI monitors all the primary streams, my i9's CPU load is getting into the 40-45% range when the system is transferring video clips from the New storage (SSD) to the mechanical longer-term drives. Playback can easily send the system to redline if I'm playing back a group of cams. And that is with the assistance of a GTX1660 as well as the Intel GPU.

If I set BI to monitor secondary streams, and just record primary streams direct to disk, CPU load drops radically. The shortcoming is that BI's still photos come from the secondary streams, so if I'm flipping through still shots for interesting ones (which I do a lot of), I'm looking at small, low-quality photos. I debated which is worse (small junky photos or high CPU usage) and decided to stick with primary streams for now. I might offload some of the cams to a second BI system with an older Core i7.
Same problem here. I've decided to use sub stream on certain cameras for now. Definitely have to upgrade my system or use two systems!