ConvertIng Analog Cameras to IP?

snooks570

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a an existing system (BNC/DVR) which I’m replacing with a hybrid. What is the cheapest option for the getting some of the older cameras (pictured) "converted" to IP? The only reason I want to do this is because of the cable run for some of the cameras. My plan was to do a POE Switch which in turn would be connected to the mesh network. Would something like this work? bnc to ip converter, bnc to ip converter Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com Thanks for any help.
Lorex Camera.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You'd need an encoder to take the cam's analog signal and convert to a digital video stream via network (TCP/IP), one channel per cam...could be expensive, so not worth it, IMO. Instead, purchase a 2MP Dahua Starlight or Hikvision Darkfighter turret.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
And if you're buying a hybrid, why would you need to? The analaog cams will work fine with the hybrid XVR.
You'd need an encoder to take the cam's analog signal and convert to a digital video stream via network (TCP/IP), one channel per cam...could be expensive, so not worth it, IMO. Instead, purchase a 2MP Dahua Starlight or Hikvision Darkfighter turret.

Didn’t know that. Though I suppose like you say it would be cost prohibitive..

snooks570

n3wb
Reaction score
Correct. I was only entertaining the conversion because the wiring for some of the BNC cameras is going to pose a significant challenge. It would have been much easier to plug into a local satellite and be done.