Conversion to MP4 results in small files with only one frame every few seconds.

Reaction score
Hi all, new Blue Iris user here.

I have latest stable version installed and a single IP Camera (Dahua DH-IPC-HFW3866TP-ZAS-AUS) added as Generic/OVIF

I haver Blue Iris configured like so:
  • Store clips for 1 day in New and then Move to folder set to Stored with Queue for convert/export checked. (changed to 0 days in New just for testing to make sure conversion works).
  • In the same settings under Configure convert/export I have Output format as MP4, Include audio track checked, and Re-encode video unchecked
  • In the camera record settings, under Video file format and compression... the file format is Blue Iris DVR and video compression is Direct-to-disk
For all my recent testing this last week, the mp4s were converted and saved in the Stored folder just fine.

However today the mp4s are much smaller and there is only 1 frame every 2 seconds or so. I'm looking in the IP Camera settings and the I frame interval is set to 50, so I'm guessing I'm just seeing the keyframe. Weird thing is the bottom right of the video is missing

1692011945476.png

Not sure what changed... There are no longer overlays (time, detection boxes etc) on the video so... maybe I turned off Re-encode video? Not sure, so I tried a few settings to see if fixed:
  • In Storage -> Configure convert/export I reenabled Re-encode video and the mp4s are fixed (but quite large - 4 times more than record direct to mp4)
  • Alternatively, in the camera settings under Record -> Video file format and compression... if I change from Blue Iris DVR to MPEG-4 (and leave Direct-to-disk checked) it records direct to mp4s and they work fine too.
  • Converting the BVR videos to mp4 manually does NOT fix it
Anyone know what the problem could be? Blue Iris bug? Some setting on my IP Camera? My computer is very well specced.

Random other questions:
  • How do record the time overlay and the detection boxes into the recorded video? I have Show highlight rectangles select in the Motion sensor -> Highlight settings of the camera, but I don't even see them in BVR playback.
  • Why are the videos converted to mp4 so big?