Convergence of Jupiter and Saturn Tonight

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Just after dark where I'm at...it won't be visible for long so don't miss it if you're interested. Hope for clear skies!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Just after dark where I'm at...it won't be visible for long so don't miss it if you're interested. Hope for clear skies!
Yeah, going with a friend tonight, we are going to drive about 2 hours outside our city to get away from the light pollution. He is also suppose to be borrowing a telescope from a family member, don't know much about it though, hopefully we can get a good viewing...

So, I HIGHLY Recommend this DVD, it fully explains what has and is about to happen:

It is a MUST see for any one who is interested in Astronomy, whether you are a Believer or Not.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So this is the Telescope my friend borrowed from his brother-in-law. He unfortunately did not have the tracker on, the batteries needed to be replaced, so we have to chase Saturn through the sky, well the earth was rotating that is :). We were able to see the rings of Saturn, even though our night was not that clear.
Jupiter was next to it, the smaller of the two. We drove to Madisonville which is north of Huntsville, Texas. Within about an hour the planets were no longer available as the moved toward the horizon.
We did not have a camera attachment either, an SLR would of been great, our cell phones did not justice. Glad I went though, nice way to close out 2020.

1608609757908.png1608612606400.png

No those are not reelections :), they are actually the planets. Putting a cell phone to the viewer :), sad, just not a good way, without a camera accessory to get a good shot.

1608612815348.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Broke out my Dobsonian telescope last night just for this. Luckily my back porch faces west so we were able to view them easily for an hour or so before they went behind the tree line. Real cool seeing both planets and their moon through one eyepiece.
So true. Funny but we drove North to get away from the light pollution to find out we could of stayed home and got better shots, we had more cloud cover North. Talk about Amateurs, we get out there, setup the Tele and noticed the batteries were dead for the motorized tracking, haha, so every 30 seconds or so we had to readjust/refocus chasing the planets to the horizon. We did not even have the Finderscope :)
It was about an hour for us too...It was awesome though to see the rings of Saturn and the planets so close together. Looked like a Star Wars scene :)

1608644182166.png1608644283062.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We had partial cloud cover tonight, just enough to obscure what we were after. I took out the old trusty dobsonian, but was only able to get a glimpse of the moon tonight. Here's hoping to better luck tomorrow.

View attachment 77578

Taken with my phone
Seriously? Wow, your phone? Amazing...I tried night mode, several things, but was not after the Moon. This is really nice...

Last edited:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Seriously? Wow, your phone? Amazing...I tried night mode, several things, but was not after the Moon. This is really nice...
It was through the eyepiece, but yeah. Darker things usually don't show up as nice, at least for me.