Continious and alerts question

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When recording in the continuous mode is there any way to initiate an "alert" when motion occurs within a clip?

While storage space on my HD is not an issue I am currently recording continuously, but would still like to see if an event were to happen.

Also, I'm I correct in assuming that FPS and resolution are the main factors in determining the file size of recorded clips?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When recording in the continuous mode is there any way to initiate an "alert" when motion occurs within a clip?

While storage space on my HD is not an issue I am currently recording continuously, but would still like to see if an event were to happen.

Also, I'm I correct in assuming that FPS and resolution are the main factors in determining the file size of recorded clips?
Yes, simply enable motion detection and make sure "create alert list images" is selected in the record tab.
FPS and resolution do not factor into file size...recording space is dictated by one factor, bitrate.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That worked, thanks. I'm now getting alerts on motion.

My bitrate is set to 4096Kbps max on variable and I'm getting manageable file size. Does that sound like a good compromise? guess I had it backwards. FPS and resolution must affect bandwidth, right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That worked, thanks. I'm now getting alerts on motion.

My bitrate is set to 4096Kbps max on variable and I'm getting manageable file size. Does that sound like a good compromise? guess I had it backwards. FPS and resolution must affect bandwidth, right?
Only bitrate affects bandwidth...nothing else...if you set bitrate to variable then the camera may use less if the frame rate or res is lower...but the only thing that affects storage is bitrate..

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, then I'll play round with the bitrate and see what happens to file size. I'm recording continuous on most of my cameras and just trying to get more days on the HD.