Considering Intel NUC 5 i7 (RYH) for BI Server - feedback?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Opps, rotten apples on me, including OS and BI software its 895. Time to take a shower.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL you guys and your rotten apples.

I don't have personal experience with the faster NUC machines, but I would question the wisdom of using one under continuous heavy load. They are just so small I have to imagine the cooling system was not designed for this.

The closest thing I have is a Gigabyte Brix Pro 4770r which is of similar physical size but it has a 65 watt i7-4770r CPU in it as opposed to the 28 watt CPU found in a NUC. Let me tell you, this machine's cooling system is utterly inadequate. I foolishly bought this Brix about a year ago thinking it would make a nice backup Blue Iris server that I could run concurrently with my main server while not taking up a lot of space. However it turned out that once I put any significant load on it, the one and only fan in the system (the CPU fan) would speed up and become louder than any desktop machine I have ever built in the past 15 years. So instead I settled with just doing constant recording of 4 low bit rate sub streams on this machine, for a CPU usage around 5 percent.

In no way was this worth the $1000 I paid for the entire system. The machine crashed all the time (Blue Screen of Death every month or so) until eventually one of the two sticks of memory failed and it began crashing daily until I found and removed the faulty RAM. Later I lost the 1 TB WD Red drive I had inside. My non-contact thermometer said the 500GB mSATA SSD was running at about 90C and S.M.A.R.T. data showed about the same temperature. So, fearing the SSD would fail too, I got a set of small adhesive copper heatsinks and put them on the SSD. I also decided to run the machine with the bottom of the case removed and I now have it sitting on a 140mm cooling fan which blows a strong stream of air up into the bottom of the case. The final step was to limit CPU speed by disabling turbo boost in the bios and by going into Windows' power settings and limiting the CPU to 80% of its maximum speed. This machine now handles its small load quietly and reliably, but it is basically hooked up to life support now after having half its organs removed.

I'm not saying anyone trying to run Blue Iris on an Intel NUC is going to experience the same problems. Likely it will be fine because the system creates so much less heat. But it is good to know, anyway, that 65 watt CPUs are too much for this form factor.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I'm evaluating BI, so I'm running on my 15 month old I5-NUC (haswell), to evaluate. I have no crashes after 8 days of continuous recording of 8 cameras ( network speed of cameras are : 5,3,3,2,2,2,2,2 Mbits/sec). Its MJPEG recording so these data rates stay close to rates I listed. Right now NEW,Alerts and storage is written to USB3 drive. BI is run as service using SSD drive, OS also on same, CPU utilization is 25% via 71 threads, TEMP is 48C, NUC Power is 5W, Freq is 1.3 GHz. NUC is quiet, USB drive not, but I'm evaluating. Goal is to add few more cameras and display on UHD TV infrequently when I get it. Its for home or someone elses. Big and ugly not considered.

NUC is very nice, I remember paying 3k for PC long ago, couple hundred bucks more for what I want isn't a big deal. Waiting for Skylake, then pull trigger.

Shower got rid of my rotten egg smell, regards, MartyO

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm evaluating BI, so I'm running on my 15 month old I5-NUC (haswell), to evaluate. I have no crashes after 8 days of continuous recording of 8 cameras ( network speed of cameras are : 5,3,3,2,2,2,2,2 Mbits/sec). Its MJPEG recording so these data rates stay close to rates I listed. Right now NEW,Alerts and storage is written to USB3 drive. BI is run as service using SSD drive, OS also on same, CPU utilization is 25% via 71 threads, TEMP is 48C, NUC Power is 5W, Freq is 1.3 GHz. NUC is quiet, USB drive not, but I'm evaluating. Goal is to add few more cameras and display on UHD TV infrequently when I get it. Its for home or someone elses. Big and ugly not considered.

NUC is very nice, I remember paying 3k for PC long ago, couple hundred bucks more for what I want isn't a big deal. Waiting for Skylake, then pull trigger.

Shower got rid of my rotten egg smell, regards, MartyO
CPU consumption on blue iris is dependent on many factors...mostly on the total megapixels of the camera...What is the resolution of the 8 cameras you are using? NVR's should be placed in an unexposed location..the dell micro or hp elite desks are pretty small...that are not big and ugly.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Considering they are mjpeg I bet it is 640x480. Not a lot of cameras go higher than that without h264 compression.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
ItemQtyPrice
REG
Seagate STEB5000100 5TB Expansion Desktop Drive 1$129.99
REG
Crucial 4GB 204-Pin SO-DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800 Memory for Notebooks 1$29.99
REG
Transcend 128GB 2.5" SATA III SSD370S Internal SSD 1$57.99
REG
Transcend 64GB MTS800 SATA III M.2 Internal SSD 1$44.99
REG
Intel NUC5I7RYH Mini PC NUC Kit 1$476.99
SubTotal: $739.95

Federman, why did you say this costs $900. again rotten apples
You came in low because you went 'cheap' on the ram and storage. I just ordered parts for one (not for Blue Iris) and the ssd was $226
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-256GB-AHCI-MZHPV256HDGL-00000/dp/B00VELD92U.

Why buy the fastest NUC and not use the best components? My total (without a desktop drive) was $766 with any tax/shipping (1866 ram was highly recommended)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice SSD!

I once bought faster-than-normal RAM and tried it at various speeds and had no perceptible difference. Probably because I was only benchmarking games.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't go cheep, this PC is purely for surveillance, nothing else, 4 gig Ram is plenty plenty C: 64gig plenty For OS and BI , D: 128gig For one day of recordings , E: 5TB for over a month of stored recording.

Please explain what is wrong with each choice

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't go cheep, this PC is purely for surveillance, nothing else, 4 gig Ram is plenty plenty C: 64gig plenty For OS and BI , D: 128gig For one day of recordings , E: 5TB for over a month of stored recording.

I think he means using Transcend ...
for ssd, the most reliable options are intel, crucial and samsung..there is no point in placing one days recording on an sdd - that adds zero value.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Nice SSD!

I once bought faster-than-normal RAM and tried it at various speeds and had no perceptible difference. Probably because I was only benchmarking games.
Benchmarks are like looking at RPM, and forgetting to consider MPH is more important.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I think he means using Transcend ...
for ssd, the most reliable options are intel, crucial and samsung..there is no point in placing one days recording on an sdd - that adds zero value.
over a month of surveillance data is available with the setup, live recording is done on 128gig SSD then automatically sent to USB drive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
over a month of surveillance data is available with the setup, live recording is done on 128gig SSD then automatically sent to USB drive.
right, my point is that there is no reason to send the data to the ssd then to the usb drive...simply record direct to the usb...

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
right, my point is that there is no reason to send the data to the ssd then to the usb drive...simply record direct to the usb...
But its better for performance and when playing back older video, its better to have current video recording on a different drive while view simultaneously. Hey have a good weekend.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
But its better for performance and when playing back older video, its better to have current video recording on a different drive while view simultaneously. Hey have a good weekend.
No its not..

Sent via Taptalk

Git

Banned
Reaction score
There is nothing 'wrong' with your choices. It seemed to me that you were calling Fenderman out since he apparently indicated that these were in the $900 range

Here is a quote from an article reviewing the NUC i7

Intel's most recent integrated GPUs are especially sensitive to changes memory bandwidth, as you can see in the charts above. We tested both the Core i5 and Core i7 NUCs with both 1600MHz and 1866MHz RAM, and the differences are quite pronounced. Both the HD 6000 and Iris 6100 score between five and ten percent higher in our graphics benchmarks when they use 1866MHz RAM instead of 1600MHz RAM. Geekbench's memory scores show an even larger improvement, closer to 20 or 25 percent.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/mini-review-intels-powered-up-core-i7-broadwell-mini-pc/

When I build a system - I try to make sure it is what I called 'balanced' If I am paying extra for the fastest cpu - then I feel I should also get comparable components (memory and storage). I also try to purchase from the 'approved' list whenever possible.

I was fortunate enough to snag 8 gb of gskill 1866 ram (approved list) for $60 from NewEgg Business - they were sold out of it within a couple of hours
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231706

I agree with Fenderman - this is not the most cost effective way to go for a Blue Iris system

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
There is nothing 'wrong' with your choices. It seemed to me that you were calling Fenderman out since he apparently indicated that these were in the $900 range

Here is a quote from an article reviewing the NUC i7

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/mini-review-intels-powered-up-core-i7-broadwell-mini-pc/

When I build a system - I try to make sure it is what I called 'balanced' If I am paying extra for the fastest cpu - then I feel I should also get comparable components (memory and storage). I also try to purchase from the 'approved' list whenever possible.

I was fortunate enough to snag 8 gb of gskill 1866 ram (approved list) for $60 from NewEgg Business - they were sold out of it within a couple of hours
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231706

I agree with Fenderman - this is not the most cost effective way to go for a Blue Iris system
Cost effective is not something I strive for on this stuff. NUC works, its small and quiet and NOT expensive. Thanks for info from Ars. Cost effective on everything means I don't buy toilet paper unless I live in California.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cost effective is not something I strive for on this stuff. NUC works, its small and quiet and NOT expensive. Thanks for info from Ars. Cost effective on everything means I don't buy toilet paper unless I live in California.
If cost is not an issue then you can use Avigilon vms with analytics on a much less powerful NUC...Blue iris is awesome and I use it exclusivly, however there are better options if cost is a non issue.
You are talking about 900 for the nuc vs 300 (400 with ssd) for a more powerful dell or hp...they are super small Another alternative is the lenovo m93 tiny pc.