Connecting IP camera to wifi with password web login

fessa

n3wb
Reaction score
[Probably a basic question] I'm planning to buy and indoor wi-fi IP camera, e.g. Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW, the only network I have available - "public" wifi from cable/internet provider (optimum). Once connected it requires to enter login/password on web page - is it something that the camera supports?

If the setup won't work - what do I need to add to make it work (obviously a dedicated PC will help)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
[Probably a basic question] I'm planning to buy and indoor wi-fi IP camera, e.g. Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW, the only network I have available - "public" wifi from cable/internet provider (optimum). Once connected it requires to enter login/password on web page - is it something that the camera supports?

If the setup won't work - what do I need to add to make it work (obviously a dedicated PC will help)?

What are you trying to accomplish? why is there no private network at the location?

fessa

n3wb
Reaction score
To monitor a room. No need to record (though it would be nice if the bandwidth allows, maybe not full stream, but e.g. screenshots every 10-20-30 seconds).
it's a non-living building, used once or twice a week - really don't need cable internet there except for the IP camera.
Wifi signal is quite strong (don't recall the exact speeds, but IIRC 15mbs download and ~2-3mbs upload).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
To monitor a room. No need to record (though it would be nice if the bandwidth allows, maybe not full stream, but e.g. screenshots every 10-20-30 seconds).
it's a non-living building, used once or twice a week - really don't need cable internet there except for the IP camera.
Wifi signal is quite strong (don't recall the exact speeds, but IIRC 15mbs download and ~2-3mbs upload).
Even if you could connect, It wont work, you wont be able to bet a publicly addressable ip address to access the camera remotely...
What you can do is get something like nestcam/dropcam and use a router that connects to the optimum wifi
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/747884-How-to-use-an-Optimum-WiFi-hot-spot-with-multiple-computers
Will cost you 100 per year for service..

fessa

n3wb
Reaction score
2 options come to mind:
1) addressable ip... will dyndns client (or alike) running on the router work?
2) any software running on the camera or on the router which uploads screenshot/stream to ftp server

are they viable?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
2 options come to mind:
1) addressable ip... will dyndns client (or alike) running on the router work?
2) any software running on the camera or on the router which uploads screenshot/stream to ftp server

are they viable?
1) will not work because you cannot use dynamic dns on a public network...
2) yes you can do this or even use something like teamviewer to remote view the pc...if you are only running one camera, you are better off paying the 100, then running a pc and dealing with the hassle and paying to run the pc...