Connect tinycam to Nvr or IPC?

Nicko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HI everyone,

I Just get my Dahua Nvr with 3 IPC. I would like to see my cam on my mobile (thanks to my VPN).

Is it better to connect tinycam pro to all IPC directly or only to the Nvr?

What is the best solution?
Thanks

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just use their network scan tool and it automatically finds my cameras one by one (pretty quickly too). Then I go into each cameras setting and add the username and password.

Nicko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer, but in fact I would prefer to use tinycam because it already monitor others cams from other manufacturers.

The thing I want to know if it better to connect directly to cam or at the nvr...

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I understood your question. In Tinycam, I use their network scan tool to find my cameras (instead of the NVR)

FAQ | tinyCam Monitor

Frequently asked questions
1. How to add my IP camera?
The easiest way is automatically add all your cameras via "Scan Network" feature available in the app. After the cameras added, you need to specify cameras username and password.

To add camera manually go to "Manage Cameras", and press "Add IP camera, NVR/DVR". In "Camera Settings" you have to specify your camera vendor, model, hostname, port number, username, and password.

For advanced users we have an option to add any camera model by specifying camera requests manually.

Nicko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK so it's connecting to cams directly, not through the nvr

Thanks

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep. I love Tinycam. The only reason I use gDMSS is for the notifications and the playback.

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
It is better to connect to IPC directly then via NVR if you use VPN. In this case you would be able to get more controls for your cameras in the app, e.g. 2-w audio and reboot camera commands are available only if you connect to IPC.

If you are not using VPN and going to make port forwarding on your router, then it is recommended to connect via NVR. It should be more secured since a lot of cameras (Dahua cameras as well) have security vulnerabilities. Do not allow your cameras to be accessible from Internet directly.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@alexvas,
Good guidance. I'd like some clarification. I'm brand new tinycam pro. It's loaded on my friestick, but not my android cell phone.
I'm happy with gDMSS on my cell phone for remote viewing.
I'm trying to use TinyCam pro with my Firestick plugged into my smart tv for a way to quickly change my TV from TV, DVD, whatever, to instead view the cams on my TV while on my home network.
My original approach:
Firestick runs TinyCam Pro
TinyCam pro would use home lan WiFi to connect to my NVR on home network (using behind-firewall ip, instead of the public port-forwarded ip addr)
However, with Tinycam Pro (on Firestick, using home WiFi lan) it doesn't connect to my NVR. It only sees some of my ipc cams.

If you are not using VPN and going to make port forwarding on your router, then it is recommended to connect via NVR.
I'm struggling to have Tinycam Pro (on Firestick plugged into my smart TV) find the NVR. I've entered the ip addr of the NVR, but Tinyycam pro seems to only find cam1.

Q1: Should I by a copy of tinycam pro for my Android phone? In addition to the copy I bought for the Firestick?
Q2: is it easier to set up tinycm pro on a phone (with an aplha-num keypad) than on a TV with "virtual keybd" and plinkin in details on TV screen.
Q3: Granted, I'm using port forwarding for now (instead of vpn) I've procrastinated on reflashing my Netgear router. Q: must by tinycam pro ip addr really be set to the external ip (whith port number in ip addr)?
Q4`: Can I set tinycam pro to work completeley on my private lan?

Sorry for the newbie questions!

Fastb

Reaction score
@alexvas,
Good guidance. I'd like some clarification. I'm brand new tinycam pro. It's loaded on my friestick, but not my android cell phone.
I'm happy with gDMSS on my cell phone for remote viewing.
I'm trying to use TinyCam pro with my Firestick plugged into my smart tv for a way to quickly change my TV from TV, DVD, whatever, to instead view the cams on my TV while on my home network.
My original approach:
Firestick runs TinyCam Pro
TinyCam pro would use home lan WiFi to connect to my NVR on home network (using behind-firewall ip, instead of the public port-forwarded ip addr)
However, with Tinycam Pro (on Firestick, using home WiFi lan) it doesn't connect to my NVR. It only sees some of my ipc cams.

I'm struggling to have Tinycam Pro (on Firestick plugged into my smart TV) find the NVR. I've entered the ip addr of the NVR, but Tinyycam pro seems to only find cam1.

Q1: Should I by a copy of tinycam pro for my Android phone? In addition to the copy I bought for the Firestick?
Q2: is it easier to set up tinycm pro on a phone (with an aplha-num keypad) than on a TV with "virtual keybd" and plinkin in details on TV screen.
Q3: Granted, I'm using port forwarding for now (instead of vpn) I've procrastinated on reflashing my Netgear router. Q: must by tinycam pro ip addr really be set to the external ip (whith port number in ip addr)?
Q4`: Can I set tinycam pro to work completeley on my private lan?

Sorry for the newbie questions!

Fastb
Q1: When you bought Tinycam Pro it should have been registered using your gmail account. If so, then you can install it on any Android based device you have. No need to purchase another copy. I paid once, and have it installed on my phone, and an Nvidia Shield TV. Both working great!

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
Q1: tinyCam Monitor PRO bought Amazon AppStore is assigned to your Amazon AppStore account. If you are going to use in on another Android phone, just sideload Amazon AppStore apk and install tinyCam there without any charge.
Q2: You can setup all your cameras on the phone in tinyCam app, then in Manage Cameras window in menu (three dots in the upper right corner) open Export to Amazon Drive. Then on Fire TV you should be able to Import from Amazon Drive all your cameras.
Q3: You can use your camera local IP address and remote IP address specified at the same time. Remote IP address will be used when Android device is not connection to home WiFi network.
Q4: Yes, tinyCam can work completely on your LAN. However it might need for the first time to check app license via Internet.