Configuring IP Camera with Raspberry Pi (Model 4)

RpiGroup

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need some help.
I am making a project in which a camera would capture videos or still images, and then forward it to the raspberry pi.
Now, my aim is to use an IP Camera , in-place of the traditional Raspberry Pi camera module.
So, my plan here is simple.
I want to set an ip address to a specific camera, and define the same address in Raspberry Pi.
Whenever the raspberry will call that ip address (using WiFi), the camera must send its video to the raspberry pi, which would then store the video in an external USB/Pen Drive.

My doubts are as follows :-

1. Can I make the ip camera work with Raspberry Pi ? If yes, then what is the hardware configuration ? If no, then how can I achieve it ?
2. How can I set / reset the ip address of an ip camera ?
3. Can an ip camera store video directly, without any external computer (like Raspberry Pi or a NVR/DVR) in an USB Drive ?

I need your help, in designing the project. Any and all help is always welcome.
Thank You .

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. Can I make the ip camera work with Raspberry Pi ? If yes, then what is the hardware configuration ? If no, then how can I achieve it ?
2. How can I set / reset the ip address of an ip camera ?
3. Can an ip camera store video directly, without any external computer (like Raspberry Pi or a NVR/DVR) in an USB Drive ?
1. Typical IP cameras stream video using RTSP protocol (or also RTMP in many cases). That video stream can be viewed and recorded on a video player such as VLC. I'm told VLC can be installed and run on a RPi.
2. A decent (not a "smart home" cam) will have an embedded webGUI that you access with a browser on a PC or laptop. You configure the cam, including its network settings, via that webGUI.
3. Yes, if it has a microSD card plugged in, formatted and enabled to record in the cam's settings.

I'd start out with a simple, small indoor cam that is OEM'd by Dahua such as the Amcrest IP2M-841. I'm not sure what is available to you where you live that is similar in ability and design. Look for a camera that is ONVIF compliant.

Last edited: