Conduit guidance needed please

JRdabbler

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, looking for some guidance on installing cameras at my location, i haven’t really been able to find anything close to what I need to accomplish and it is probably due to not knowing the correct terminology. I will be installing some cameras with the water proof junction boxes, the part I’m not sure of is how to cleanly take the conduit through to the attic. Looking for examples on what type of co suit fittings I should be using. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated thank you6FFEC4B6-7EF9-42E8-AC2D-4689E9CDA43B.jpeg

JRdabbler

n3wb
Reaction score
7DB91E83-E277-49A0-AF3F-463F5F5AC9E0.jpeg
Would I just use one of these through the vent cover, with pvc down to the junction box? Or is there a cleaner way of doing it?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're just trying to sleeve it to protect it until it's in the attic. You've got lots of options starting with the type of conduit. Options include: EMT (paint it), flexible non-metalic conduit, pvc, liquiditght flexible metalic conduit, or rigid metal conduit (hardest to work with).

You'll want to buy special junction boxes from your camera supplier, boxes from the hardware store won't work well.

Then it's just a matter of getting the conduit between the box and the attic. An LB (or LL or LR) is a fine choice of fitting to make the transition a pull elbow could also work. You can buy a bender and put small offsets in EMT, might end up looking a little cleaner than pvc.

NorthBendDave

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I used the part you show. For my first install, I used metal EMT and bent the drop down to the camera junction box. As I upgraded cameras I changed to flexible non-metalic and camera specific junction boxes. I'll get some pix. I also put 10 ft PVC conduit to the inside of my attic so I wouldn't have to get to the low angle of my roof.

JRdabbler

n3wb
Reaction score
View attachment 151140View attachment 151141 The picture with the jumperwire is me testing a new location on the wall. Note: the 1/2" non-metalic fittings are tight to get premade network cable through, I sort of enlarged the holes with a dremel.
Ahhh ok so pretty much just how I envisioned it, nice to know I wasn’t far off. Running that extra pvc conduit inside the attic seems like a very good idea as well, I was dreading having to crawl into the narrow part of my attic.
Appreciate the pictures! Thank you.

edit: how are those LBs secured through that “bird barrier”. Is there a place to put a fastener inside?

NorthBendDave

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I drill a hole inside and used an oval head screw. I attatch the conduit to the LB an then feed it into the correct size hole. I put a conduit support inside the attic to hold it to the rafter.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - I run 1/2-3/4" conduit from the attic entrance way to the corners that I needed the drops to come out, as the attic area got really tight. Secured the conduit in a few key points, this reduced the amount of time I needed to spend crawling in tight spaces in the attic.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how are those LBs secured
You can anchor the conduit with a 1 or 2 hole "strap", a bracket that straddles the conduit or just try to get by with caulk in a situation like this that doesn't really matter much.