Computer versus NVR

bhunter

n3wb
Reaction score
When Should a person setup his/her own server versus buying a NVR?

I am debating setting up a server versus buying an NVR. I have decided on Hikvision Cameras. I have 1 DS-2CD2332-I installed with a
Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW on order. I wil have a max of 6 cameras. I have the skills to create a server. I was searching and cannot find a thread about people discussing this (although I am probably not using the correct terms). I have a dsc security system. I like the idea of possibly integrating the security cams with my security system. I am new to the IP camera world. I am into home automation. I have a homeseer server.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any and all thoughts/suggestions
Bill

art76

n3wb
Reaction score
Good topic and a question I am pondering myself currently.

We have a mix of hardware NVR's and recently a few PC based software NVR's in our workplace.
My view is that with hardware NVR's you are very much locked into that software with its features or issues. On the PC side, there may be issues, but you have some hope in changing the software without changing the hardware it runs on.

Either way, I'm just not impressed of the design and functionality of the hardware based NVR's, and most OEM software NVRs.
The HikVision NVR's we have, seem to have very poor logging facility, it gives you an overview but not much substance, hard to know what is or isn't really going on.
I'm running a GeoVision PC based NVR for an analog capture card as an interim measure, but find its GUI confusing to use.

The best PC NVR I have used is from UBNT for their cameras, but alas, only for their cameras and not others or onvif compliant either way :(

Anyway, I'm just taking over some of our security stuff as our external security companies are having difficulties working out how something they sold us works.

A.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the basic breakdown...
Standalone NVR:
Pros-Generally very stable, cheap, low power consumption, plug and play if you match cameras of the same manufacturer, small.
Cons - limited to the cameras you can use (even if they are onvif, motion detection may not work if you mix brands).., limited options with respect to scheduling, motion detection and alerts.
The NVR's with built in poe are very loud...the fans simply spin too fast.
If you have a failure and need to send it for repairs your system is down for a pretty long time unless you buy from a seller that will cross ship..

PC NVR:
Pros - lots of software packages to choose from many of which have incredible custom options some are free(hikvision ivms, dahua pss) others cheap (blue iris) while others cost about 50-100 per camera in licensing (milestone, exacq, Avigilon)...easy to service if something breaks..Should be used on a dedicated reliable to for ultimate stability.
Cons - uses more power than NVR requires more maintenance, windows updates etc..
I use dell/hp refurbished pc running the latest intel processors (haswell)..the cost about 300 of an i5 and 500 for an i7 when on sale...these come with 3 year next business day warranties...

art76

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman!
Good pros/cons there.

So since you use the PC NVR option, which software do you use?
You have listed several options in free/cheap/expensive, and just wondering if you have found one or a few that standout. I've found in other areas expensive products that are crap, cheap that are good and free better but working that out isn't always easy.

Being on IT guy, the PC option is better suited to us, so now trying to find good software and then testing across one or two brands of cameras to see how it handles them. Move on from our aging analog setup..

A.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The best PC NVR I have used is from UBNT for their cameras, but alas, only for their cameras and not others or onvif compliant either way :(
I'd like to add that Ubiquiti's NVR software in later versions is one of the most efficient out there, and it is linux compatible. It will run loads of cameras on minimal CPU. The only problem as you mentioned is that it supports UBNT cameras only. UBNT cameras are years behind now in hardware and in price, and they dropped 3rd party support some time ago so the cameras don't even have RTSP output anymore; you use UBNT's NVR software or you don't use anything.

Anyway, I say if you have the necessary computer skills and like to tinker with software then by all means get Blue Iris. All the better if you have a powerful and reliable PC on hand and don't need to buy one. An NVR matched with cameras from the same manufacturer is cheaper and easier to set up, but less powerful.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman!
Good pros/cons there.

So since you use the PC NVR option, which software do you use?
You have listed several options in free/cheap/expensive, and just wondering if you have found one or a few that standout. I've found in other areas expensive products that are crap, cheap that are good and free better but working that out isn't always easy.

Being on IT guy, the PC option is better suited to us, so now trying to find good software and then testing across one or two brands of cameras to see how it handles them. Move on from our aging analog setup..

A.
Software recommendation will depend somewhat on your budget as well as the total number of cameras you want to use..
Personally I use blue iris and have the software installed in over 20 locations...
As bp2008 points out you will need a powerful system as blue iris does its own server side motion detection (Blue iris can use in camera motion detection on axis, mobotix as well as hikvision cameras that have an alarm output, like the 2432, 2532IS, 2132FIS, 2732IS, 2632IS etc although i have not measured the performance impact of doing so)...It is cheap at 60 dollars total cost (not per camera) and the developer, Ken, is always adding functions...new versions are on a 3 year cycle so you are not going to have to upgrade for another 2.5 years or so..There is a single developer here so dont expect phone support or anything like that..that is why folks come here...It is really the best bang for your buck..
If you told me you were installing 30+ x 3mp cameras then blue iris is not the best choice though some folks are buying expensive powerful dual processor servers to do this..
On per license side there is milestone, exacq and avigilon (among others)...milestone and exaq have cheap 50 dollar per camera licenses but they have limitations like no writing to nas, or no two way audio...to get those functions you would need to upgrade to the 100 per camera licenses.
Avigilon comes out to roughly 75 per licesne or so and is a solid vms, with features like pixel based motion search (allowing you to search clips for motion in one specific area, door cash register etc) so you dont have to look through irrelevant footage..
These more expensive packages can do camera side motion detection and are very efficient...member @Razer uses low power i3's and exacq with many hikvision cameras.
The downside is that they charge you again for upgrades when a new version is released, and that is per camera..
For basic 10-20 camera systems at 2-3mp each you really cannot beat blue iris for price and function..

art76

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again!

bp2008 - yes, i have to say their interface etc is just great. Doesn't hurt that it looks like its from this decade.

fenderman - only looking for smaller setups, max currently is system with 12 cameras, but have several locations with 4-8 cameras each.

So looks like i'll be giving blue iris a go :) at least where we don't have existing NVR's already.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again!

bp2008 - yes, i have to say their interface etc is just great. Doesn't hurt that it looks like its from this decade.

fenderman - only looking for smaller setups, max currently is system with 12 cameras, but have several locations with 4-8 cameras each.

So looks like i'll be giving blue iris a go :) at least where we don't have existing NVR's already.
Go for it...remember to use direct to disc recording or your cpu use will go though the roof camera properties >record>file format
also in the motion tab uncheck object detect reject, otherwise you will miss motion events..
there is a 15 day demo on the website.. @Mike developed blue iris tools which monitors blue iris, it can send you alerts if there is a crash or abnormal cpu use, as well as other functions. Go to the top of this page and select the blue iris tools tab..

Last edited by a moderator: