Computer Upgrade Help?

Reaction score
Hi All,
About a year ago I realized I needed a serious, cost effective computer for my security camera system. I got some wonderful advice from some of our senior forum members and ended up with links to a great buy for a refurbished Dell system (i7-4790, 3.6GHz, 16GB, 1 TB HD, Haswell motherboard) under full 3-year warranty for $459. Many thanks for the great help.

However, while I thought my needs would never exceed 20 cameras, I was wrong. My wonderful system bogs down (CPU gets maxed out) at anything much more than 16 cameras and it looks like I will need about 40 cameras to meet our security requirements. The Haswell motherboard has a max 16 GB capacity, so I cannot add more memory. I think it is probably thrashing to the HD with that many cameras recording.

I am thinking I should split my system, keeping my current system with about 16 cameras and adding a refurbished Dell XPS 8910 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz) with 32GB, expandable to 64GB. I am hoping that will handle another 26 or so cameras, along with a 5 or 6 TB HD.

I found a refurbished basic Dell 8910 system with 8GB and an 1 TB HD for $779, if anyone knows of additional discounts or could suggest a different option, I am all ears. I make no claims to be an expert in any of this stuff.

My current configuration includes Hikvision, Huisun cameras and some Ubiquiti line of sight links along with assorted switches.

I think this is the right way to go. If you have another opinion, I would like to hear it.

This forum is wonderful!

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What frame rate are you running your cameras at?

Have you enabled Direct-To-Disk and HD Graphics Acceleration?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you can buy an elitedesk or optiplex i7-6700 for 400-550...