Computer Help

Susp3nc3

n3wb
Reaction score
This is my first post...so bare with my noob'ness. I have been running 7 blue iris 3mp cameras for the past 6 months or so on a Dell server (still at high CPU numbers), and it is KILLING my electrical bill and making the underside of my house a constant 70 degrees so i can't have a wine cellar (lol). My 7 cameras are

DS-2CD2532F-IS (2)DS-2CD2032-I (4)
DS-2CD2332-I (1)

My question is, what computer do i need to run these cameras + maybe more in the future efficiently with the least power draw. And if possibly I would like to run my TV DVR system on the computer as well. I wanted to see if anyone had a system I could mimic and or buy somewhere that someone has already found a good deal for. Anything rack mountable is a definite plus. Any help is greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The best way to do this is with an i7-4770 or similar.....I have a system with 22mp total (8 cameras, 6x3mp, 2x2mp) and it only users about 22%cpu the cameras are a mix of 15-20fps...and all are using direct to disc (this is a must to lower cpu)...this is a dell optiplex 9020 with the i7-4770...the dell outlet is a great place to find good deals..the machines are solid and come with a 3 year next business day warranty....they always have sales going on like 30 percent off (with coupon) as they have right now...For example they have a 7020 i7-4790 mini tower on sale for 545+tax (after using the 30 percent coupon)...It does come with a video card but you can check with dell to see if you can remove it and use integrated graphics...It is important that you dont get a discrete graphics card, they suck power, create heat, fail often, and dont improve blue iris at all. They also have a 9020 i7, integrated graphics for 580+tax (after coupon)The HP Elitedesk are another favorite of mine....i can usually get the i5 haswells cheap -300-400...the i7 is more rare...here is an auction dont know what it will end at.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Business-EliteDesk-800-G1-SFF-Core-i7-3-4GHz-Quad-Core-12GB-1TB-Win-8-1-/301460265319?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item46306e9967

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or the other way, keep your PC as a PC for for your TV DVR, emails, twitter and playing farmville.... and get a Hikvision dvr, as your already powering your cameras by some means, then a non POE version could be quite efficient.

The electricity cost savings will mean that it will pay for its self and as a even bigger bonus you get to use the wine cellar :redface-new: