Computer hard drive

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As @samplenhold and other have stated, it's best to use a sureillance-rated HDD (not SSD) for video clips, as it's purpose-built for constant 24/7 writes. Major players are WD Purple and Seagate Skyhawk.

I would not put too much emphasis on "cheap" when it comes to my PC for running BI and recording video clips.
Thanks will buy one of those when if figured out size fits into this machine.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One thing I have not seen mentioned is grounding. The drives will come in a static free bag. Just walking on carpet this time of year you can build up enough static to destroy sensitive electronics. I generally don't wear my wrist wire but will touch the metal case frequently to keep from discharging to the electronics. I always keep the machine unplugged when working on it but a friend keeps his plugged in that way the case is grounded through the plug.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks will buy one of those when if figured out size fits into this machine.
Any 3.5" drive will fit into the drive cage. It will mount into a blue caddy that slides in and out. Unless they've swapped it for a 2.5" SSD and used that caddy instead. In that case you might have to come up with the one for the 3.5" which are easy to find. I think it's this one. Probably can find it cheaper, just the first that I saw:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
And it isn't like you are moving the computer around, so duct tape or velcro and attaching to the side if there isn't room works as well.
The SSD drive in my HP G2 600 is lodged in place with a dodgy placed screw, as you said it’s not like it’s going to move unless it falls off the shelve it’s on in the attic.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thats just wrong.....:)
I usually use these ==>> 2.5 to 3.5 Hard Drive Adapter, SNANSHI SSD Mounting Bracket SSD HDD Metal Mounting Bracket 2.5 to 3.5 Adapter for PC SSD (Pack of 2) as they're sturdy, do the job and are inexpensive. But in the case of the all-in-one, it placed the drive's SATA male connectors just 1" too far away from the PC's females and they would NOT give one iota of additional length to make the connection because of their design, so.....:idk:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
If finances are tight, you could start really low with a 1TB hard drive and upgrade later on when wallet allows you to. At least this way, you can get started. If I ran a very small TB hard drive, I probably would not run 24/7 continous recordings but instead just motion detected or IVS detected. At the same time, it depends on how many cameras you will be using. Heck, honestly...it is not a mandatory thing to purchase a Western Digital Purple HD though it is highly recommended.
Using a small TB hard drive that is not a WD Purple and not recording continously is far from ideal and not at all recommended. However, not everyone can afford what is truly required on day 1.