Compression setting question

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a question about video settings. Following the recommendation of others, I set my cameras for H.264 encoding, as it definitely provides the best resolution; but my question is, does the main stream and sub-stream encoding method have to match? If I were to set the main stream for H.264 and the sub-stream for H.265, would that be acceptable, or would that lead to problems? (see attached screenshot) Are the main stream and sub-stream independent, or do they work together?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They should match or you will have issues, especially if using a VMS like an NVR or BI as it is storing it in one file.

If you are only using an SD card and only saving mainstream, then it might not be an issue.

But the substream is so small anyway that you will not see a savings using H265 versus H264.

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They should match or you will have issues, especially if using a VMS like an NVR or BI as it is storing it in one file.

If you are only using an SD card and only saving mainstream, then it might not be an issue.

But the substream is so small anyway that you will not see a savings using H265 versus H264.
Thank you so much. That's exactly the information I wanted. I wondered if I'd be saving anything by going with H.265 in the sub-stream. I appreciate the the time you took to answer this.