Complete Smart Tracking failure with newer firmware before and after vidoes.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have 3 DS-2DF8236 series cameras. These are the huge $3500 ones that have or at least had excellent tracking.
Two of my cameras have v5.4.9 and track perfectly.
The third has v5.6.0 and can't track hardly at all. It seems obvious that the algorithm was updated either intentionally or a bug that results in the camera zooming in first and then panning rather than panning and then zooming in. You can see the results in the two video. I've tried everything from using identical settings to many variations on the 5.6.0 firmware. Nothing seems to make much of a difference.

Smart tracking with 5.6.0:

Smart tracking with 5.4.9:

koppted

n3wb
Reaction score
I was wondering why my own smart tracking was not working properly on my DS-2DE4A425IW, since everyone in this forum said good things about it. Just saw your video, and my firmware version is V5.6.11. Anyone know of a way to revert to version 5.49?

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yea, this is either a bug that apparently still isn't fixed in 5.6.11 or it was intentional due to patent litigation. It's also around the time that a number of models that originally had smart tracking, but not advertised, had it removed with later firmware updates. If Hikvision doesn't provide a solution for this, I will take many more comparison videos and splatter them all over youtube and advertise them in every camera forum. The consumer needs to know just how broken smart tracking is now so they don't make purchase decisions based on previous good examples.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While you bought it this way, it is yet another example of why not to update firmware "just for kicks". I am sure someone will come to this site with "Hey after I updated this camera the autotrack isn't as good"....

Unless it is fixing a known problem, in many instances it breaks something that is working.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While you bought it this way, it is yet another example of why not to update firmware "just for kicks". I am sure someone will come to this site with "Hey after I updated this camera the autotrack isn't as good"....

Unless it is fixing a known problem, in many instances it breaks something that is working.
Indeed. I was seconds away at one point from pressing the button to update the 5.4.9 cameras several years ago and decided at the last second not to since it was working well.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Install v5.4.9 firmware onto the v5.6.0 camera.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Install v5.4.9 firmware onto the v5.6.0 camera.
If that were only possible. Not only did they disable field downgrades in later firmware versions, they don't offer firmware downloads on their USA website any more. They were pulled and now only certified technicians have access to them and even they can't downgrade.

There were some rumors floating around that Hikvision service centers(there's only one in California) can downgrade.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's between you and HIKvision.

No idea. I believe I was the first one to updated firmware on my cameras, but my cameras are $50 and not $3500.
Are your cameras USA versions or imports?

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There's no firmware on that site for my model of camera.

The USA also doesn't have firmware for my model. It used to but it was pulled.
Sorry, got the info messed up.

The way I see it, you either wait for an answer from HIKvision support or your try older firmware for your camera. (I know you said downgrade isn't possible)

Here are some older firmware for your camera.

V5.5.2 release notes mentioned your model.

1636993485874.png

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FYI, I just re-enabled comments on those two videos. For some reason if I have them listed as made for kids, it turns comments off so I changed to "not make for kids" but not age restriction. I guess the other way is the new default.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know not what it's worth, here's a still working link to Hikvision's Europe portal. I've just downloaded V5.5.8 base firmware for my Hikvision PTZ DS-2DE4A425IW-DE. I've not set it up for smart tracking but I might in the near future. Will smart tracking still be available when I do?

No firmware downloads seem available from the Hikvision website serving the UK, and another Hikvision website I found mostly has firmware for their more recent cameras, firmware though for my NVRs was a yes.
Perhaps Hikvision don't like retail customers, did they ever?
I stand to be corrected but I'm starting to get suspicious about Hikvision continuing to support their older products. Of course some on IPCT wonder if newer firmware decommissions features you previously enjoyed with older firmware.

oddslot

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you managed to make it work ?
I have an DS-2DE5425IW-AE(S5) and I have the same problems as yours. The camera can't track moving object and as you said, it seems the camera zooming in first and then panning rather than panning and then zooming in.
Anyone have a solution ?

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you managed to make it work ?
I have an DS-2DE5425IW-AE(S5) and I have the same problems as yours. The camera can't track moving object and as you said, it seems the camera zooming in first and then panning rather than panning and then zooming in.
Anyone have a solution ?
Hikvisions response to me is that the camera that I'm experiencing tracking failures on, even though it's the same series is not exactly the same hardware. The 1 year old newer one I have is the more expensive laser model which is the one that is failing. They said that camera doesn't track as well as my older DS-2DF8236I-AEL cameras and that it's not a firmware issue.

I don't believe it for a second. I think this is their way of just blowing it off.